How much resources does LMDE take?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
r23chase
Level 1
Level 1

How much resources does LMDE take?

Post by r23chase »

I'm thinking of switching to LMDE instead of the main edition...and while Debian Bullseye is imminent, I need something slightly more stable. I'll even provide the specs of my current PC.

So, here are my specs of my ThinkPad:
- 4 GB RAM
- 500 GB hard drive
- CPU is AMD A4-5000 APU (4) @ 1,500 GHz
- GPU is AMD ATI Radeon HD 8330
-Model is X140e

So, what do you think? Is this good enough to run LMDE? Or even vanilla Debian with Cinnamon?
Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Starting again isn't as easy as I hoped. Mostly because of the anxiety that comes with it...and that's okay! Trying new things is part of life. <3
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How much resources does LMDE take?

Post by WriteF »

I think it should run it well enough if you don't have too much stuff open at once. Just assume a gig of memory is gone running Linux. That leaves 3GB and you have a quadcore APU.

But it is going to take a little while still until Bullseye is released. And then quite a bit more still until LMDE5 comes around. At least half a year i suspect.
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
r23chase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r23chase »

WriteF wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 2:07 pm I think it should run it well enough if you don't have too much stuff open at once. Just assume a gig of memory is gone running Linux. That leaves 3GB and you have a quadcore APU.

But it is going to take a little while still until Bullseye is released. And then quite a bit more still until LMDE5 comes around. At least half a year i suspect.
Alright. Thanks. I really appreciate the information.
Starting again isn't as easy as I hoped. Mostly because of the anxiety that comes with it...and that's okay! Trying new things is part of life. <3
ivar
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ivar »

r23chase wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:30 am So, here are my specs of my ThinkPad:
- 4 GB RAM
- 500 GB hard drive
- CPU is AMD A4-5000 APU (4) @ 1,500 GHz
- GPU is AMD ATI Radeon HD 8330
-Model is X140e
is it these specs?
https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-th ... 00-gb-hdd/
If so, putting in an extra 4GB ram module + upgrading to a SSD should give it a nice boost in performance I think.

Return to “Beginner Questions”