How do I replace Cinnamon with i3wm or any tiling WM?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
r23chase
Level 1
Level 1

How do I replace Cinnamon with i3wm or any tiling WM?

Post by r23chase »

Hi. I'm thinking of doing something risky, but first I need to know what I'm doing

Long story short, I'm thinking of trying sway WM on my ThinkPad, but I'm not sure how to add it. I might go back to Cinnamon if something break, but can you help?

Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Starting again isn't as easy as I hoped. Mostly because of the anxiety that comes with it...and that's okay! Trying new things is part of life. <3
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: How do I replace Cinnamon with i3wm or any tiling WM?

Post by Moonstone Man »

r23chase wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:30 pm Hi. I'm thinking of doing something risky...
Good luck.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi. I'm thinking of doing something risky, but first I need to know what I'm doing
Good luck.
My thought on that is, If you do not know thoroughly what you are doing, don't even think of doing something risky...lol...DAMIEN
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

I've had no problems installing Window Maker, it's just five DEBs to start and you can add other components if you like it.

sudo apt install wmaker

will install:

libwings3 libwraster6 libwutil5 wmaker wmaker-common

I've soon got tired of it though...

But, as others have said, if you're not really sure what you're doing...
r23chase
Level 1
Level 1

Post by r23chase »

Beerislife wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:52 am I've had no problems installing Window Maker, it's just five DEBs to start and you can add other components if you like it.

sudo apt install wmaker

will install:

libwings3 libwraster6 libwutil5 wmaker wmaker-common

I've soon got tired of it though...

But, as others have said, if you're not really sure what you're doing...
So, basically...I should know what I'm doing first. Got it.

Though, wmaker seems similar to JWM in terms of it being a stacking window manager. After all, I'm thinking of using a different window manager instead of Cinnamon. Why? Well, maybe it's because I want something light.

Note: sway is a tiling window manager that uses Wayland instead of X. Just thought I'd let you know.
Starting again isn't as easy as I hoped. Mostly because of the anxiety that comes with it...and that's okay! Trying new things is part of life. <3
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

After all, I'm thinking of using a different window manager instead of Cinnamon. Why? Well, maybe it's because I want something light.
Cinnamon is a full blown desktop environment, not a windows manager as you call it.

If you wanted something light, you would have never chosen to install Linux Mint Cinnamon, which is the LM flagship distro that is heaviest on system resources with all the horns, bells, and whistles.

You would have instead, installed Linux Mint XFCE...Not as "pretty" as Cinnamon, but much lighter on the system resources.

my original statement still stands.
My thought on that is, If you do not know thoroughly what you are doing, don't even think of doing something risky...lol...DAMIEN
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Risks can have rewards--as well as disappointments.
I would dedicate a separate experimental partition for this, or even a separate drive.
There you can take ample time to gain the experience and learn the technique and requirements needed.
This will ease the disappointment part without jeopardizing your working system.

Good luck with your adventure.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
revmacian
Level 5
Level 5

Post by revmacian »

all41 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:11 pm Risks can have rewards--as well as disappointments.
I would dedicate a separate experimental partition for this, or even a separate drive.
There you can take ample time to gain the experience and learn the technique and requirements needed.
This will ease the disappointment part without jeopardizing your working system.

+1 all41, that is exactly the sort of advice I would have posted.. very wise.
Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you'll feed him for a lifetime.
US Navy, NEC HM8404
Beerislife

Post by Beerislife »

If you want Sawy, then all you have to do is:

sudo apt install sway

The following additional packages will be installed:
libwlroots5 suckless-tools sway-backgrounds swaybg
Suggested packages:
dwm stterm surf swayidle swaylock
The following NEW packages will be installed
libwlroots5 suckless-tools sway sway-backgrounds swaybg
0 to upgrade, 5 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
Need to get 5,377 kB of archives.
After this operation, 6,881 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

I'm going to state what should be obvious here. ANY..time you are considering trying anything risky with your PC, always do multiple backups....first.

Facts don't care about anyone's feelings, and when the data is gone or the ability to boot is bricked or nuked...that's all she wrote.

1. System image backup ( Foxclone is a great tool and there are others ..be it the " Backup" option or the 'Disk clone" option ...which requires the target disk to be the same size or larger than the drive to be cloned..from )..hell using Disks ( gnome disks that is ) application to do a Disc image backup isn't such a bad idea *** note....you MUST not be booted from that drive when trying this or you could screw things up. Grab a Linux mint installation thumb drive and boot from that...THEN do a Disk disc image backup targeting another separate drive )

2. Create Timeshift snapshot

3. Manual backup...copy and paste all them media files ( docs, pics, music, videos/movies, save game data folders..whatever can be backed up) to a separate drive

Having said all of that...AND You've testing restoring such a backup with another PC if you can...then ..have fun with that risk.

Just my opinion. Do as you wish. All good vibes meant :D
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

revmacian wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:17 pm
all41 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:11 pm Risks can have rewards--as well as disappointments.

+1 all41, that is exactly the sort of advice I would have posted.. very wise.
Yes--thanks
In either scenario the op gains knowlege--so it's a win/win
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”