Some images on Facebook newsfeed fail to display?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hampshire_Hog
Level 1
Level 1

Some images on Facebook newsfeed fail to display?

Post by Hampshire_Hog »

Hi there

I am experiencing problems with "SOME" images not displaying in Facebook's News Feed and Notifications. This only occurs on my Linux PC and Laptop running LMDE4. However, all is fine when running them on my Android tablet and my iPhone. I am at a loss as to how to fix this having "googled" every which way for an answer. I have also contacted Facebook several times but they appear not to be interested into a lone individual with a query. I am still waiting for a reply, let alone a fix.

FYI - my main system is as follows:-
-----------------------------------------------
CPU: Quad Core Intel Core i7-2600 (-MT MCP-)
speed/min/max: 1741/1600/3800 MHz
Kernel: 4.19.0-18-amd64 x86_64
Mem: 2186.8/32072.5 MiB (6.8%)
Storage: 1.82 TiB (24.1% used)
Procs: 234 Shell:
bash 5.0.3 inxi: 3.0.32

Cinnamon version 5.0.7 Display Environment

-----------------------------------------------

My IBM Lenovo 230x laptop is similar to the above (although currently unavailable) which is a Quad Core Intel core i5 with 8gb Memory and 1tb HDD.
These are the only two computers with this problem which makes me wonder if it is linked to my LMDE4 Installation.

Finally, all images work fine and load without issue on all other Linux image viewing and editing software.

Your help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Joe
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Some images on Facebook newsfeed fail to display?

Post by AZgl1800 »

Farcebook has been having a LOT of issues on the last few weeks.

a few days ago, it refused to show any images at all.

today, it is mostly working, but not always.

anytime you are looking at FB and are having issues, assume that FB is the problem, not your PC.

let it go for today, and revisit tmw.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

their Notification routines are a Farce....

I get a list that is 20+ long, and then a new one that is 1 minute old, that one buried at the bottom of the list, not at the TOP where it belongs.

I hate Farcebook, and would not use it at all, EXCEPT that it has killed online Forums almost completely, and my friends are now addicted to their damn cellphones, and not talking to friends face to face, or online in forums.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Hampshire_Hog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hampshire_Hog »

Thanks for your replies/comments. I agree that the problem seems to be with FB but they totally ignore any requests for assistance. Big tech seems not to like us Linux users.

I shall continue to investigate but will take a break for now.

Thanks again.
Hampshire_Hog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hampshire_Hog »

I have just got round to running a test on my "Dual Boot Window$ 10" and as far as I can ascertain all works without issue. I therefore conclude that this only seems, in my case, to affect my LMDE4 system. I may add another version of Linux Mint in a different partition and see if that works, but that's for another day.

The mystery deepens so I will continue to investigate the problem. I refuse to use Window$ so will persevere with my Linux systems, especially my LMDE4. FB can stay as it is for what it's worth. I do not intend to change in the foreseeable future. At least my local and International family and friends can still use their devices to reach me and that's all that matters.

If and when I find anything out I will post the information here.

Regards

Joe
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

I have Win10 on the OEM SSD on this laptop, but it is rarely ever used.
TurboTax is just about it.

I am using 19.3 Cinnamon now, will be moving to 20.3 Cinnamon in January most likely.

I do not like LMDE4, tried it out for a year, personal hiccup on that.
absque fenestris
Level 12
Level 12

Post by absque fenestris »

I don't use Facebook, so I can't say anything about it.
But the comment "some images" already told me something: could it be that these are images in HEIC/HEIF format?

I stumbled across these formats last week while showing my uncle how to transfer images from his smartphone to his new Windows laptop. There were quite a lot of them, but pictures from the last half year were not displayed by the FastStone picture browser - but very well by XnView: his Samsung Phone had apparently silently changed the picture format from JPEG to HEIC about 6 months ago...
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

absque fenestris wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:44 pm I don't use Facebook, so I can't say anything about it.
But the comment "some images" already told me something: could it be that these are images in HEIC/HEIF format?

I stumbled across these formats last week while showing my uncle how to transfer images from his smartphone to his new Windows laptop. There were quite a lot of them, but pictures from the last half year were not displayed by the FastStone picture browser - but very well by XnView: his Samsung Phone had apparently silently changed the picture format from JPEG to HEIC about 6 months ago...
Facebook requires standard image formats, I tried the HEIC and it is not even recognized in the FB "upload list"

that kind of ticked me off, because with my Samsung S10+ phone, the Camera image size for .jpeg .jpg is over 7mB

HEIC is under 2mB, but Linux does not even display HEIC easily.
GIMP does, so I use that to convert to .jpeg and that triples the images size at a minimum, depends on the background colors.

FB also does not recognize Video formats that result in much smaller file formats.... :twisted:
Hampshire_Hog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hampshire_Hog »

I have just spent a few hours on my PC today, including surfing Facebook. To my surprise ALL Images were displayed without a problem. I can't be sure if this is just temporary or luck as it may not last. However, for now I will assume it has been fixed, although I have had no communication one way or the other from Facebook. For now the jury is still out on this one.

Just thought I would post this update. Should anything change, like reverting back to the same issues, I will re-post again.

Regards

Joe
Hampshire_Hog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hampshire_Hog »

As noted in my previous post it now seems to have been a false alarm. Images are still not appearing in places, so the problem still exists. This happens on both my PC and also on my Laptop.

The jury is therefore still out.

Regards

Joe
Hampshire_Hog
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Hampshire_Hog »

The problem seems to have corrected itself. Whether this is done via by Facebook or the many updates / upgrades made of my Linux OSes, one will never know. It has been running normally for the last 1 - 2 months without any real issues. Hopefully this will continue.

Thanks for those of you that have shown an interest in this problem. Hope your own experiences, if any, are also now sorted.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20

Post by AZgl1800 »

it is Farcebook,

I can guarantee you that.
LM20.3 and I make no changes and when FB screws up, :x
I just ignore it and go on....

Tmw or the next day, it starts working again

Return to “Beginner Questions”