[SOLVED] CPU Governor

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sagsaw
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] CPU Governor

Post by sagsaw »

Any reason why Schedutil is not the default CPU governor in LMDE?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: CPU Governor

Post by rene »

I don't run LMDE and not here Debian so can't check anything but that'll undoubtedly not be an issue on the level of Mint. I fully expect that the default scaling governor will be whatever default scaling governor the base Debian distribution has set. Note that for one Mint does not provide its own kernels; could seemingly provide its own boot-time configuration but tends not to as to lower levels on the main nor the Debian edition. I.e., unless you can tell me/us that the LMDE default is in fact tweaked from the upstream Debian default you will need to ask this question there.
sagsaw
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sagsaw »

I will clarify that I meant why not LMDE use the schedutil as the default CPU Governor instead of which ever Debian provides.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I will then (hardly) change my reply to say that Mint by and large is the higher-level part of the operating system. The base is Ubuntu for the main edition, Debian for LMDE; said base is even gotten directly from their respective repositories, with Mint not as much even as a middleman. Something as low-level as a default CPU scaling governor Mint would not generally touch unless with very good reason; specifically good enough to overrule Ubuntu's / Debian's choices if it's not default there. Schedutil seems to increasingly commonly be picked as a default by distributions; you will undoubtedly see it on Mint / LMDE when Ubuntu / Debian uses it as default -- and very unlikely earlier than that due to the foregoing.

Return to “Beginner Questions”