Remove White Border Around Windows (solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
icurate
Level 1
Level 1

Remove White Border Around Windows (solved)

Post by icurate »

I am setting up a computer with 20.3 Elsie and am looking for a way to remove the thin white border around the windows. I can't find anything in the settings and my online search results are from 10 years ago. My other computer with 19 doesn't have this. I use these computers for presentations/displays and the border is distracting if the windows overlap. Any help will be appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
shedyed
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Remove White Border Around Windows on 20.3

Post by shedyed »

See if you can right-click on the window and set the border to be

a) 1 pixel thick (or thin)
b) borderless
c) normal

If you're successful with either a or b, Congratulations! You've picked a working window manager (I think that's the term, but why fuss over little details)

It's what you do AFTER that ought to impress. If that right-click even allows you to set the border for THAT application (your slideshow) all throughout, then you're right on the money.

If you're a console cowboy, you might be bold enough to install wmctrl, but it can be tricky like conky, because it leads to a rabbit hole.

These are just suggestions. Remember that line from Morpheus, something like I'm just showing you the door...
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, icurate.
icurate wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:54 pmI am setting up a computer with 20.3 Elsie
Actually, there is Linux Mint 20.3, nickname una.
And there is Linux Mint Debian Edition 5, short form LMDE 5, nickname elsie.
Yet, there is no 20.3 elsie anywhere.
So, please, share the complete output of the terminal command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz
with us so that we can be sure about which Linux Mint edition we are talking and which desktop environment is in use.
Thanks.
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
icurate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by icurate »

karlchen wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:46 pm

Code: Select all

System:
  Kernel: 5.10.0-12-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1 
  Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 tk: GTK 3.24.24 wm: muffin 5.2.1 
  dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: LMDE 5 Elsie base: Debian 11.2 bullseye
Last edited by karlchen on Sat May 07, 2022 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shortened full quote of post right above to the bare minimum
icurate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by icurate »

WindowBorder.png
This is an example of the window border that I need to get rid of.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

That border comes from your choice of themes, specifically the Controls theme and the Windows border theme and how they interact. I can't quite work out what theme you've set from the screenshots. If you want rid - changing theme is the answer.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

icurate wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:55 pm System:
Kernel: 5.10.0-12-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.1
Desktop: Cinnamon 5.2.7 tk: GTK 3.24.24 wm: muffin 5.2.1
dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: LMDE 5 Elsie base: Debian 11.2 bullseye
So, that is LMDE 5, not Mint 20.3.
I have moved your topic accordingly.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

icurate wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:00 pm WindowBorder.png

This is an example of the window border that I need to get rid of.
Try:
Go to the Welcome Screen/Fist Steps/Desktop Colors---move the slider to Dark (moon symbol)
lmde5.png
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
icurate
Level 1
Level 1

Post by icurate »

all41 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 9:04 am Try:
Go to the Welcome Screen/Fist Steps/Desktop Colors---move the slider to Dark (moon symbol)
lmde5.png
I appreciate your help, but that just gives me a black border instead of white. The biggest question for me is how I ended up with Debian instead of Cinnamon. I am pretty sure that I just need to install Cinnamon and that will fix my issue.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Remove White Border Around Windows

Post by smurphos »

You've got Cinnamon, running on Mint just on a Debian (rather than a Ubuntu) base. You will have ended up with that by using an LMDE5 ISO to install.

Changing your Window Borders theme (the hint is in the name) - Menu > Preferences > Themes - will fix your problem.

Hint - both the current Mint-X and Mint-Y Window border themes have a detectable border but you can Add/Remove to use other themes from the Cinnamon Spices selection, or there are various alternative themes available to install in the repos - search in synaptic / software manager for 'theme'

For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
icurate
Level 1
Level 1

(SOLVED) Re: Remove White Border Around Windows

Post by icurate »

smurphos wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:28 am You've got Cinnamon, running on Mint just on a Debian (rather than a Ubuntu) base. You will have ended up with that by using an LMDE5 ISO to install.

Changing your Window Borders theme (the hint is in the name) - Menu > Preferences > Themes - will fix your problem.

Hint - both the current Mint-X and Mint-Y Window border themes have a detectable border but you can Add/Remove to use other themes from the Cinnamon Spices selection, or there are various alternative themes available to install in the repos - search in synaptic / software manager for 'theme'
I really appreciate the explanations, I learned a lot. I read about the differences between the Debian and Ubuntu versions of Mint and ended up installing the Ubuntu version, just so my two installs are the same.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Remove White Border Around Windows

Post by all41 »

installing the Ubuntu version, just so my two installs are the same.
Makes total sense. Still hang out in the Mint forums though.
Much to be learned
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”