Terminal Colors Are Gone

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
QRP
Level 1
Level 1

Terminal Colors Are Gone

Post by QRP »

I get no varied colors in Terminal - I have tried Gnome, Konsole, Mate - and all file and directories are all the same color. I have varied Themes, Colors, System Colors. In Ubuntu I always got varied colors in Gnome Terminal. I suspect this is a system problem as all terminals behave the same. What am I missing?
I can color the directories with ls -al --color but that is the only difference.

Code: Select all

qrp@laptop:~$ neofetch
Laptop Make & Model > Clevo: N141CU 
Kernel: 5.10.0-14-amd64 
Shell: bash 5.1.4 
DE: Cinnamon 5.2.7 
WM: Mutter (Muffin) 
CPU: Intel i7-10510U (8) @ 4.900GHz [102.2°F] 
CPU Usage: 5% 
Disk (/): 11G / 50G (23%) 
GPU: Intel CometLake-U GT2 [UHD Graphics] 
GPU Driver: i915 
Memory: 3629MiB / 15699MiB (23%) 
Resolution: 1920x1080
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
QRP
Coggy
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Terminal Colors Are Gone

Post by Coggy »

I think colour is normally turned on by this line in ~/.bashrc: alias ls='ls --color=auto' (I'm on Ubuntu right now but mint will be similar).
So try looking at your ~/.bashrc file and add the line if it's not there.

Return to “Beginner Questions”