Clean pc with installing LMDE 5 over current Debian 11.3

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rickv
Level 1
Level 1

Clean pc with installing LMDE 5 over current Debian 11.3

Post by rickv »

Hey guys,

as a short intro, I'm completely new in Linux and don't have any computer/programming skill. Have been using Windows the last decennium - very rarely using the command promp - and after reading about windows privacy issues, I would like to switch to Linux' LMDE5

Debian 11.3 Bullseye is currently installed on the pc, and would like to have a completely fresh computer by installing the LMDE5.

My question is:

could I just install LMDE5, from an USB, on the computer? Will it completely override/erase everything what was already on?

Is there any particular stuff to do; would you happen to give any advice on how to do this?

********** some old post from 2010 said - since it's superold and I didn't really understand this answer, still a mention of it **********

Re: Overwrite existing Linux OS.
Post by Aging Technogeek » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:02 pm

You do not need to delete an older Linux installation before installing Mint unless you want to change the partitioning scheme. If you do not want to change the partition sizes, just click on each existing partition you want to reuse, click "Change" and, in the "Edit" window, set the file system type you want (ext3, ext4, xfs, etc.), format the partition and set the mount point (/, /home/etc). Do not change the partition size.

When you have edited all partitions, click "Forward" to continue the installation and Mint will be installed over your old Linux OS.
Registered Linux User 483387

*********** end ***************

(since i'm totally new to typing, and Linux needs commands with the ctrl-alt-t, follow up questions will likely happen! :)

Thanks so much, have a good night,

Rick
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Clean pc with installing LMDE 5 over current Debian 11.3

Post by antikythera »

could I just install LMDE5, from an USB, on the computer? Will it completely override/erase everything what was already on?
yes, the installer will let you do that, just choose the option and let it get on with automatic partitioning too.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
timbol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timbol »

Is there any particular stuff to do; would you happen to give any advice on how to do this?
Information on making the USB here viewtopic.php?f=90&t=377890&p=2204725#p2204725
Back anything that you want to keep up to separate storage before you start
While the installation will wipe the hard drive you'll be warned that data won't be totally gone. It's gone enough for my security purposes, but unless you have hours to spare and really, really secret stuff, IME skip the secure wipe option
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

MY friend, converting Debian 11.3 to LMDE is easy.

Simply add the linuxmint repository for LMDE 4 Debbie in /etc/apt/sources.list Download linuxmint-keyring package and use dpkg -i to install it)

Code: Select all

sudo apt update

sudo apt install mint-info-cinnamon mint-artwork debian-system-adjustments mintsystem mintmenu 
Then change your LMDE repository entry to from debbie to elsie

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install mint-meta-core
sudo update-grub
you will now have a minty grub and a minty neofetch and minty themes and mintsources will work and not complain.

starting from debbie then upgrading gets your base-files onto the right version. You could instead begin with elsie repos, download base-files, then dpkg -i to install and lock the version. Unlock it before next upgrade!

Return to “Beginner Questions”