could someone give me experience LMDE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around LMDE as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums within the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nooblinx
Level 2
Level 2

could someone give me experience LMDE

Post by nooblinx »

I like to migrate from LM to LMDE. I know enough to do so but like to know your experience if you had LM and moved to LMDE.
could you give me overall experience and also let me know difference of RAM usage? how much RAM used when you boot into LMDE?
what about nvidia driver? what is cinnamon version of LMDE 5? etc.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
still noob in linux :~$ echo "my english is not good"
manyroads
Level 5
Level 5

Re: could someone give me experience LMDE

Post by manyroads »

FWIW you can probably test most of those things out on your gear by simply running a LiveUSB.
Pax vobiscum,
...mark
SwayWM, i3wm, bspwm, hlwm, dwm
Professional Genealogist & Technologist
(http://eirenicon.org & http://many-roads.com)
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

Hi, I use lmde on various machines. On my 64 bit laptop lmde is using about 400 MB of ram idling. On a 32 bit laptop with mate desktop and 512 MB ram, it can be optimised to use less than 150 MB idling.

You could theoretically strip down LM or LMDE to be low resource usage, but LMDE is probably closer to the target to begin with.

LM = Ubuntu + Mint
Ubuntu = Debian + Bloat
LMDE = Debian + Mint
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

nooblinx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 amwhat about nvidia driver?
There is no Driver Manager in LMDE for installing Nvidia drivers. Debian wiki: NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
nooblinx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:15 am what is cinnamon version of LMDE 5?
It is the same as the latest version available with Linux Mint Main Edition. Whenever a newer version of Linux Mint is released, shortly after that LMDE receives an update to same Cinnamon version. That means the Cinnamon version currently available in LM21.1 is the version one gets after installing and running updates in LMDE5.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
timbol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timbol »

I prefer LMDE5 to LM21.1 because it has many of the same features, e.g. Cinnamon 5.6, but it works with my laptop better
That could be the difference between kernel 5.10 (LMDE) rather than 5.15 (LM21); maybe newer isn't always best :D

LM21 has a driver manager and I could install NVIDIA drivers easily, but that made stability worse and sent the kernel into a panic so I went back to LMDE without the NVIDIA driver. I'll try the NVIDIA driver in LMDE when I get a bit of spare time

If LM21 works well for you then stick with it because support will be more plentiful, LMDE has been more stable for me
timbol
Level 2
Level 2

Post by timbol »

what about nvidia driver?
Just installed it using synaptic:
installed nvidia-detect, ran that in terminal which told me which driver I needed
installed nvidia-driver (in my case)
It works :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”