Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Faraway Hills
Level 1
Level 1

Difficulty dual booting

Post by Faraway Hills » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:04 pm

I have Tara Mate on the second primary partition of my hard disc, and Cindy Cinnamon on the first primary partition. Both appear in the Grub menu. I can boot into Tara with no problem. When I try to boot into Cindy, I get a number of error messages, which I'm afraid are outside my experience or knowledge level. They include:

ACPI error, namespace look up failure
ACPI error, method parse/execution failed
AE not found
evaluating BCM failed
Invalid PCI rom header signature
Module not found in modules.dep
Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked

(Some articles on the web suggest you can ignore some of these errors and just carry on, but pressing enter just brings back a message similar to the last line)

I can use Cindy from the live ISO disc, and have tried reinstalling, but the problem recurs, even with the new installation.

String
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Difficulty dual booting

Post by String » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:54 am

I think it has something to do with your BIOS firmware and / or the kernel version that Cindy uses may not be compatible with your hardware? lol

https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175605357/
https://forum.manjaro.org/t/acpi-error-at-boot/26221/4

I can't get Cindy and Debian 9 Stretch to work on my machine without issues either.

Faraway Hills
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Faraway Hills » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 pm

Thanks for replying. My guess, too, would have been that's it's related to either a UEFI or a kernel issue, but I'm rather out of my depth here.

Anyway, as it appears there may not be a straightforward solution, I've decided to delete the Cindy partition and reinstall Tara on the whole disc, for now.

I've used Betsy and its predecessor for several years, and found them generally more stable and less issue prone than Ubuntu, but that was on a different computer. I shall try Betsy on this one, and if all is well, keep it for the time being, and try Cindy again in the new year.

String
Level 1
Level 1

Post by String » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:05 am

Sounds like a plan.

To be honest, I think I still prefer the completeness of Tara as it based on the latest Ubuntu LTS. For me it is just a matter of continuously educating yourself about best practices and learning what's good, okay and bad when it comes to making decisions in order to make your distro as clean, useful, stable and pleasurable to use as possible. I say abuse TimeShift lol I do ...

Return to “Installation & Boot”