LMDE install fail

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
down_shift
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE install fail

Post by down_shift »

Hi all,

I try to install LMDE on my Carbon X1 (2020) and the installer boots up from the usb drive and than I have a blank screen, cursor and nothing else to choose from. Any idea what is going on? I did install that version on my old Lenovo G40 with no issues.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: LMDE install fail

Post by karlchen »

Hello, down_shift.

Checked the LMDE 4 Release Notes for the section on fixing graphical issues, when booting the live/installation medium, but could not find it. Seems to be absent for some reason.
Therefore let me point you the section on "Solving freezes during the boot sequence", to be found in the "Linux Mint 20.1 Release Notes" instead.
Hopefully the instructions given there will work for the LMDE 4 live system as well. But I cannot promise so.
Go down to the section titled 'Solving freezes during the boot sequence'

HTH,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
down_shift
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down_shift »

Hi Karl,

Thank you for your reply, but i cant find those notes for graphical issues fix. Am I missing something?
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, down_shift.

You click on the link, which I had given in my previous post. Let me repeat the link: Release Notes for Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon.
On this webpage you scroll down till you read the section title Solving freezes during the boot sequence. It is almost at the end of the page.
If you are lucky, then the advice given there, works for LMDE 4 live system as well, not just for the LM 20.1 live system.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
down_shift
Level 1
Level 1

Post by down_shift »

Karl,

Attached is the screen I get when I chose the compatibility mode. I don't even get that when I just try to chose regular installation:
Attachments
mint_installation_issue.jpg
Tenebris_Umbra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tenebris_Umbra »

Did you try it with secure boot off?
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Hi,
Let's try some checks :
Was a previous OS running fine on your system ?
Install fails, but does live session work ? (I mean really works, not just the time to double-click on install : internet access, video and audio playback OK) ...
Have you tried a new download on another USB key ?
Have you checked your disk with Gnome Disks ?
Have you checked your memory banks with Memtest86 or equivalent ?

May seem stupid, but may avoid lots of nervous breakdowns. Of course, I assume you checked if your system was 32/64 bits and downloaded the adequate version of LMDE4.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)

Return to “Installation & Boot”