[SOLVED] Unable to enter encryption passkey in plymouth...

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rudepeople
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rudepeople »

I just finished a new install of LMDE3 (First time in a long time), and I've hit a bit of a snag.

I have a trivially custom setup (LVM on Luks with EFI/grub2 and a separate /home drive), but I believe I have everything set correctly, but when I reboot I get a nice plymouth splash screen with a prompt to enter my password... however, the field is dead. there is instead a blinking cursor in the top left and everything I type is entered in clear text and plymouth seems to be ignoring any text entered...

This is a fairly familiar issue to me as I'm coming from Arch Linux and the same thing happens if you miss a hook. checking for the "Debian way" I have found I am supposed to add three lines to /etc/initramfs-tools/modules:

Code: Select all

intel_agp
drm
i915 modeset=1
I've done this, and then ran update-initramfs and update-grub... still no joy. I get a lovely splash screen, but I still can't actually enter my password...

To be clear, root is located on an NVME drive, so booting with text only (removing "splash" from /etc/default/grub) isn't all that bad, but I want all the pretties!

Any ideas?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rudepeople
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rudepeople »

I resolved my own issue... turns out this is a thing with Debian, specifically running Debian in a virtual machine. there isn't a virtualbox guest kernel module for initramfs... at least not one I've found that works just yet.

Even so, for anyone testing LMDE3 in VirtualBox, kill "splash" in /etc/default/grub...

change this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
to this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"
LMDE works fine in VM without it (though you wont get the pretties).

Reading material for anyone wanting to check my sources!

Return to “Installation & Boot”