Personal Data Encryption

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
thoys

Personal Data Encryption

Post by thoys »

Hello together,

by the time i install ubuntu, the installation routine ask me, if i wanna encrypt my personal date. If i say yes, Ubuntu encrypt the Data and gives me a key for the case, i wanna reencrypt it.

Is it possible to install something, that encrypts my data as easy as in ubuntu?
What is the programm that encryptes in Ubuntu?

Thanks a lot to the people, which made a very nice produkt, like lmde3 is.
And thanks for your help

Thoys
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Personal Data Encryption

Post by Pierre »

as a rule, you can only encrypt your system, at the Time of Installation of the new LinuxMint system.

did you try that option - - during the Installation ?.
- you typically can't do that function, after the actual installation, unlike that Ubuntu option.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
thoys

Post by thoys »

Hi,

thanks for your answer. In Linuxmint it is possible, like in Ubuntu (because it is based on ubuntu). But in LMDE it is not. Or is it? It will be the most easy way, if i didn't saw it.

Greets
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

The default LMDE installer doesn't support that (except for doing it via the command line in the expert partitioning mode).
Try Calamares installer from the menu - maybe it supports that?
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Hi thoys,

There are a few way to skin this cat.
During installation you are provided with two encryption choices choices:
1.) encrypt the entire linux drive
2.) encrypt /home which I am wondering if that is what Ubuntu really means

Then there are different ways of implementing encryptions after the install.
However the easiest that I have found and that I like is creating an encrypted container
to put all my "top secret" personal stuff in. After trying several methods and apps have
found Veracrypt the easiest to install and apply.

There is a thread on this viewtopic.php?t=275495
but in a nut shell per phd21 here is the easy way to install verycrypt -
To install Veracrypt using the PPA method in Linux Mint 17.x, 18.x, or 19.x, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: (might want to restart after installing before running the first time.)

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:unit193/encryption

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt install veracrypt
thoys

Post by thoys »

Hei,

thanks for your answeres. It is not possible, to use ppa in LMDE.

To use veracrypt as a container for the important things, is very easy. If i understand it right, it is more complicated to use it for a whole partition.
I will try to use linuxmint instead of lmde, because encryption is really important, and at the moment i have less of time, to care about my system.

But the last queston is: Is there a repository for debian (lmde) with veracrypt? I am just trying to find it, but without success.

Thanks you

Thoys
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Hi Thoys,

Well one easy solution is do a fresh install of Mint and choose the option to encrypt your entire linux partition or just /home. And to be really secure choose to have the MBR copied to a USB drive (the MBR is not encrypted so the encryption key can be hacked) that way in order to really access your system one must physically be in possession of the USB drive.

Return to “Installation & Boot”