Hostname question

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ImpWarfare
Level 1
Level 1

Hostname question

Post by ImpWarfare »

Why is it that the hostname on the Mint Debian Edition requires to be fully lowercase letters with no caps lock? On the standard version Ubuntu-based releases it works with caps lock and can have the first letter of the computer name in capitals but not on the Debian Edition. Is there a reason for this? Debian itself if I recall doesn't have this as a restriction so why Mint?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
“Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
“It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.” -J. K Rowling
-----
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way
gm10

Re: Hostname question

Post by gm10 »

?
lmde3-hostname.png
Emerson Prado

Post by Emerson Prado »

gm10 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:50 pm ?
In Cindy installer, in "User info" dialog, if you try to enter a hostname with upper case letters, you'll get an alert saying "The hostname must be lower case".
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Ah, you didn't say this was about the installer. I don't know why the one you used forces lower case - hostnames are only lower case by convention, not by rule, so you can change it to whatever you want later on as shown in my screenshot. Note that there is also no rule to preserve case in hostnames though so some software processing it may lower case it regardless.

Return to “Installation & Boot”