Had lmde 64bit working, then tried to update nvidia drivers and now has pcieport errors and won't start

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gisil
Level 1
Level 1

Had lmde 64bit working, then tried to update nvidia drivers and now has pcieport errors and won't start

Post by Gisil » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:33 pm

It goes through GRUB and the lm logo shows and then the screen brightness changes and then the logo goes away and it prints these things:

My gpu is nvidia GeForce 940mx.
I wanted to update my gpu driver because my laptop seemed kinda loud. Not sure if this is what did it but it hasn't worked since then. I had done sudo apt-get purge nvidia* earlier and it still worked after I restarted then.
Then I did sudo apt-get install nvidia-drivers (maybe no s) then sudo nvidia-drivers and after it ran I restarted and it hasn't worked since.

Gisil
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Had lmde 64bit working, then tried to update nvidia drivers and now has pcieport errors and won't start

Post by Gisil » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:41 pm

Forgot to say that I use Cinnamon and live booting still works.

Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Had lmde 64bit working, then tried to update nvidia drivers and now has pcieport errors and won't start

Post by Dr. Octagon » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:24 am

Hello,

maybe you forgot to update your kernel to the new nvidia driver...
In my case I have to run

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver

to install the driver properly.

P.S.
Check your correct driver version (mine is nvidia-legacy-340xx-driver) for your card by nvidia-detect first!

Cu
Dr. Octagon
A good stumbler doesn't fall...

Return to “Installation & Boot”