memtest86+ v5.01 can't get to (ESC) exit, (C) configuration, F2 for multicore.

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
webstuff
Level 1
Level 1

memtest86+ v5.01 can't get to (ESC) exit, (C) configuration, F2 for multicore.

Post by webstuff » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:31 pm

LMDE 3, 64 bit, all updated.

I'm testing ram with memtest86+ v5.01 but I can't toggle (ESC) exit, (C) configuration. I also can't get to F2 where it would allow me to use the other cpu cores. I'm using a macbook2,1 (mid 2007). I've also tried an external usb keyboard -- same issue. Can someone try this and see if this is a distro issue or a bug in memtest86+?

For mac users, you might want to test your ram. turns out I have a bad Komputerbay memory stick. It's a miracle that I could install OSX and Linux without any issue.. I wonder why.. I mean, shouldn't there have been a blue screen or some sort of crash already??? :lol: I surfed the web, updated, and upgraded both os, and appears to be no issue. I'm feeling paranoid that I feel like I should reinstall both OS.. what do you guys think?? What's the chance that memtest86+ is misbehaving instead of me having a bad stick of ram? I went on amazon and read some of the Komputerbay's reviews and some people say there is a high percentage of bad rams that's been pulled.

Question#1: If non EEC ram is used, do you think there's enough check which ensured that I didn't experience any issue? I wonder why there's no issue yet. I ran the same test and there's no issue with the other sticks of ram.

Question#2: Should I get micron or hynix chip? Any preference?

Question#3: Does standard memory chip (one that passes QA) go bad if it's not over clocked? Let's assume there's nothing wrong with the Motherboard and powersupply. I don't expect CPU to go bad, so I don't really expect memory chip to go bad, but historically, I do find some bad memory sticks, in particular the generic sticks. I hear that the small companies buy batches of lower quality memory chips, so maybe this is why I've been running into some of these bad memory sticks?

Thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”