Proper way to remove systemd as init in LMDE3?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cm1

Proper way to remove systemd as init in LMDE3?

Post by cm1 »

I'd like to revert LMDE3 to SysV from systemd as the init system, is there an official way to accomplish this?

Note: I'm not interested in debating the philosophies of systemd here - if it is appropriate for you, great. It's not appropriate for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Proper way to remove systemd as init in LMDE3?

Post by xenopeek »

We don't have an official way to remove systemd from LMDE 3 and there don't appear to be any user contributed guides on that either. You can likely use a guide intended for Debian stretch also with LMDE 3, if there is such a guide.

There are other distros that don't use systemd init, that may be easier to do. If you want suggestions on that make a topic for that in Chat about Linux. We'll stay on topic about LMDE 3 here.
becherekmg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by becherekmg »

You could try
sudo apt-get install sysvinit-core
Systemd will stay on your machine, of course. Same applications are depended on it but SysV will be your init system.
SuperBoby

Post by SuperBoby »

A little warning :

The way I understand it, removing Systemd from Debian may break a lot of things. Can you tell us what you need in the SysV init ? If you only feel the need to write init scripts, it is still possible with systemd. Otherwise, if you want to completely replace Systemd, in my opinion the best way would be to "rebuild" LMDE from a Devuan base instead of Debian. But it is highly possible that you will run into dependency problems when installing the Linux Mint layer. If you don't want to reinstall , you can find some detailed tutorials with a simple google search with the "Debian" keyword instead of "Linux Mint", but again, this may break other parts of the system.
zorzi

Post by zorzi »

There's this tuto:

http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.p ... stallation

But this looks risky. Maybe you should consider other SystemVinit distros...

Return to “Installation & Boot”