Alt Tab (Linux equivalent to windows) to switch tasks?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webstuff

Post by webstuff »

I googled and brought me here:
viewtopic.php?t=217911

That was 2016, so still no solution 2018+?

sigh......this is sad.... :shock: :? :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :roll: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I just want to switch between browser and command prompt w/o using my mouse. This appear to be too much to ask.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tenfoot
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Alt Tab (Linux equivalent to windows) to switch tasks?

Post by tenfoot »

You don't say which version of Linux Mint you are using, but what follows relates to both Cinnamon and Mate on v19.1. I use v19. with the Mate DE

To do what I want, I set up four workspaces and then through the Control panel - Keyboard shortcuts, I set shortcuts to navigate those workspaces. In my case mod4+1(+2) (+3) (+4) goes to the appropriate workspace. Of course, you must remember what application is in what workspace but you would have to do this in any case, I feel.
tenfoot
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds darkness always got there first, and is waiting for it." Terry Pratchett (Reaper Man)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

webstuff wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:13 am Alt Tab (Linux equivalent to windows) to switch tasks?
I can use alt+tab. Is that not working for you?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Nuts2u
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Nuts2u »

I'm using LMDE3 Cindyand Alt-Tab works on my system.
Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver. Welcome to Hell. Here's your copy of Windows.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I use the workspace switcher in the panel.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

I'm pretty sure I have used Alt-Tab in every Linux version I have ever used. Which Linux version are using?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

It works fine on LM17.3 Cinnamon. A bar with thumbnails for all the applications appears on whichever monitor the mouse is on, for easy selection. :)
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

BG405 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:57 am It works fine on LM17.3 Cinnamon. A bar with thumbnails for all the applications appears on whichever monitor the mouse is on, for easy selection. :)
+1 - Same for LM19.1 Cinnamon!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-105 Cinn 6.0.4

Return to “Installation & Boot”