Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
bewleygary
Level 1
Level 1

Allocation problem before install [Solved]

Post by bewleygary » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:03 pm

When I make a bootable usb with LMDE 3 and load it and then proceed to the installation, I am unable to allocate the remaining space on the usb drive. I get an error box stating ' The driver descriptor says the physical block size is 2048 bytes, but Linux says it is 512 bytes.' I have tried two different usb drives and get the same error. If I am working in Linux Mint 18.3 and insert the bootable disc and go to Gparted and select it I still get the same error.
Last edited by bewleygary on Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepakdeshp
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Allocation problem before install

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:12 pm

You can't add any files to boot able USB using the normal procedure.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Post by MrEen » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:20 pm

Hi bewleygary, and welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me like you are booting from the USB then trying to install to the same USB. Is that the case?

I would assume you can't do that, but I may be wrong. You could try booting from the USB you made, then install to a different USB device, assuming you have a port and device available.

bewleygary
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bewleygary » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:01 pm

I did get the installation completed. The error I was referring to can be ignored before allocating the target drive. I think the problem I was having was that the target drive had a partition that the installation was unable to remove and I was getting a second error regarding that. Once I used a different target drive the installation proceeded except that I got another error regarding the grub and so tried the installation a second time and this time it was successful. I am still something of a novice and yes, initially I did try to install to the booted usb. Thanks for the response, It started me thinking.

MrEen
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Allocation problem before install Solved

Post by MrEen » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:34 pm

I'm glad you got it figured out. :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”