Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Zweitaktmotor
Level 2
Level 2

No proper shutdown?

Post by Zweitaktmotor » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:32 pm

Hi guys, sorry I have run into another problem I need some help with, please:

I have a Dell Optiplex 780 that I boot with LMDE in German from an external USB HD.

From time to time, I found that this installation gets messed up, which presents in some applets in the system tray not being loaded (Mint Update and Weather) and - more importantly - my root password no longer being recognised.

I looked at my ".xsession-errors" file and found a few suspicious entries, among them:
** Message: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
(=file not found)

Luckily, I keep disk clones, made with Clonezilla, so that I can revert to a previous state, but I was asking myself what the cause of the problem might be.

I then observed that when I click on Shutdown in Mint Menu, the machine does not properly sign off. It literally cuts the pwer and Bang! the lights go out.

I tried it on a similar machine, a Dell Optiplex 755, with the same results.

I am pretty sure that this behaviour corrupts the hard disk. I remember that LMDE should take quite some time and show a string of messages when shutting down properly. It could be that the error is embedded in one of my clones.

Is there anything that can be done?

Many thanks.

Return to “Installation & Boot”