LMDE4 LUKS Encryption Issue

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Retr0

LMDE4 LUKS Encryption Issue

Post by Retr0 »

Hey guys I'm having an issue with installing LMDE4. I choose the encrypt drive with LVM as I'd like to have my system secure as it can get. So the installing and everything goes five but when I boot up and it gets to entering the encryption password it's not decrypting the rest. Now I've pretty much tried a lot of common sense solutions, such as caps lock and entering it slowly or making sure the installation media is completely fine and not corrupted. I know it's for sure the password so I pressed on arrow key to see what was showing up and it keeps stating "No key available with this passphrase". Not sure if there's something that needs to be setup during the installation process or what. Would appreciate the help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: LMDE4 LUKS Encryption Issue

Post by pbear »

For a new installation, it will be much faster and simpler simply to do over. If run into the same problem again, go ahead and bump the thread.
bm3500
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bm3500 »

@ Retr0
this isn't a problem with LMDE3 and to check I have successfully done this with Buster on several machines.
when it came to LMDE4 had same result as yourself and this happened on 3 devices. I gave up after awhile and continued to watch this space.
I found myself with a bit of time on my hands and revisited the problem,
I don't know if you've moved on or still looking for an answer here but what I discovered is that when I was using the standard Password I use which had every type of character available, on LMDE4 this would result in the same problem you were experiencing.
just for a laugh I tried a password along the lines of the following:

coronavirussucks

all lower case one word, and this was successful, whether any other variation works I'll leave it to you, but at least this workaround may give those in the know a pointer as to what may have happened.

hope this works for you and anyone else having this issue.
rwagner

Post by rwagner »

Issue still exists in currently shipped LMDE4 - known bug and ignored or does simply nobody know of this bug?
gibbonswing
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gibbonswing »

Yeah I'm also experiencing this exact issue.

My workaround was to install it using the password "password", and then changing it after I booted the OS. No problems from there
kawogi

Post by kawogi »

This is my 6th reinstall, thinking I mistyped my password over and over again :(

The password verification field seems to be ignored. I made sure my password works for both keyboard layouts (en-US and de-DE) to make sure there's no problem at boot time.

I finally had success with "12345678".

Is there a bugtracker or even an open issue for that?
mshmm
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mshmm »

I've had no problems in 3 LUKS encryption installs of LMDE4 with the same password (Upper and lower case letters, together with numbers - no symbols). Clearly others are having a problem. Is it worth trying to narrow down what characters in the password cause a problem (e.g. symbols ?~*&)?
kawogi

Post by kawogi »

I used a password containing the symbols "!$%" and the overall length was 14 characters. Maybe those characters aren't properly escaped when they're used in a command line.
Still doesn't explain why the password confirmation is non-functional.

Return to “Installation & Boot”