LMDE 4 "debbie" installation Fails on HP 17t Laptop Nvidia Dual Graphics

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
persistentpenguin

LMDE 4 "debbie" installation Fails on HP 17t Laptop Nvidia Dual Graphics

Post by persistentpenguin »

It may just be my computer's configuration and lack of proper drivers in the Linux Kernel - but I cannot install LMDE 4, or Ubuntu 19.10, or Linux Mint 19.3.

I am posting here because LMDE 4 is what I want installed and I seemed to get further along in the installation process than the others before failure.

So this is what happens: I boot from Live USB and proceed to install everything works great - sound, wifi, bluetooth, media keys, touchpad, and card reader - but not Nvidia Settings. Nvidia settings would not launch - not even if I tried using the terminal - no error, the terminal just becomes unresponsive. I thought perhaps I need to have a full install before the graphics would work. I went through the install - completed all the prompts. The installer begins copying files and setting up - it gets stuck when it comes to "installing drivers". I cannot get any further than that.

Also, another strange behaviour is when I'm just testing the Live environment without installing and try to execute the system info it never launches. When finished testing and I try to shutdown - it freezes completely - nothing will change on the screen and it will remain that way for hours if I let it.

I really wish I knew what was going on. The behaviour is the same - even default boot without the Nvidia drivers and in Compatibility mode.

Here is my hardware configuration:

Hp 17t Laptop
Intel i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz, up to 3.8 GHz, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
Intel GPU HD Graphics 630
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
8 GB DDR4-2400 SDRAM
480GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD

Note: I have successfully installed older versions - Mint 18 and Debian 9 - it seems these new distros and newer Kernels may be the issue.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jared+
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LMDE 4 "debbie" installation Fails on HP 17t Laptop Nvidia Dual Graphics

Post by Jared+ »

Strange. What driver version did you install by chance? Have you installed 418 or 440 driver? Did you follow the installation guide from: https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsD ... ion_418.74 .
dale661
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dale661 »

I have the same exact problem with my laptop.
User of Debian, LMDE, Mint and FreeBSD.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

persistentpenguin wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:11 pm Note: I have successfully installed older versions - Mint 18 and Debian 9 - it seems these new distros and newer Kernels may be the issue.
The compile and driver installation process is the likely cause of this issue, not the kernel.

The trick to troubleshooting this issue is to select the install option that includes the nVidia driver then use the dmesg command in a terminal, and read. When you do that, you'll probably notice that nvidia-persistenced.service failed to start during the live compile of the driver.

sudo systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service will tell you if this is the problem, and if it is, use sudo systemctl start nvidia-persistenced.service. You should then have no further issues with nVidia.

I can't recall if you need to restart Cinnamon after that, but I can tell you that I can't be bothered testing it :)
tojo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tojo72 »

persistentpenguin wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:11 pm So this is what happens: I boot from Live USB and proceed to install everything works great - sound, wifi, bluetooth, media keys, touchpad, and card reader - but not Nvidia Settings. Nvidia settings would not launch - not even if I tried using the terminal - no error, the terminal just becomes unresponsive. I thought perhaps I need to have a full install before the graphics would work. I went through the install - completed all the prompts. The installer begins copying files and setting up - it gets stuck when it comes to "installing drivers". I cannot get any further than that.

Also, another strange behaviour is when I'm just testing the Live environment without installing and try to execute the system info it never launches. When finished testing and I try to shutdown - it freezes completely - nothing will change on the screen and it will remain that way for hours if I let it.
I have the same laptop and same problems. :|
I don't speack English very well... apologize me, please!
tojo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tojo72 »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:28 pm [The trick to troubleshooting this issue is to select the install option that includes the nVidia driver then use the dmesg command in a terminal, and read. When you do that, you'll probably notice that nvidia-persistenced.service failed to start during the live compile of the driver.

sudo systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service will tell you if this is the problem, and if it is, use sudo systemctl start nvidia-persistenced.service. You should then have no further issues with nVidia.

I can't recall if you need to restart Cinnamon after that, but I can tell you that I can't be bothered testing it :)

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ sudo systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service
● nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service; enabled; ven
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Tue 2020-04-21 15:41:14 UTC; 3min 51

Apr 21 15:41:14 mint systemd[1]: Starting NVIDIA Persistence Daemon...
Apr 21 15:41:14 mint nvidia-persistenced[2859]: Started (2859)
Apr 21 15:41:14 mint nvidia-persistenced[2859]: Failed to open libnvidia-cfg.so.
Apr 21 15:41:14 mint nvidia-persistenced[2859]: Shutdown (2859)
Apr 21 15:41:14 mint nvidia-persistenced[2858]: nvidia-persistenced failed to in
Apr 21 15:41:14 mint systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: Control process ex
Apr 21 15:41:14 mint systemd[1]: nvidia-persistenced.service: Failed with result
Apr 21 15:41:14 mint systemd[1]: Failed to start NVIDIA Persistence Daemon.
mint@mint:~$ sudo systemctl start nvidia-persistenced.service
Job for nvidia-persistenced.service failed because a timeout was exceeded.
See "systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
mint@mint:~$ 
it does not run... :(

Code: Select all

mint@mint:~$ systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service
● nvidia-persistenced.service - NVIDIA Persistence Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nvidia-persistenced.service; enabled; ven
   Active: failed (Result: timeout) since Tue 2020-04-21 15:47:01 UTC; 5min ago
  Process: 11231 ExecStart=/usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvpd (code=exited
  Process: 11282 ExecStopPost=/bin/rm -rf /var/run/nvidia-persistenced (code=exi
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 4915)
   Memory: 700.0K
   CGroup: /system.slice/nvidia-persistenced.service
           └─11232 /usr/bin/nvidia-persistenced --user nvpd
...skipping...
dale661
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dale661 »

it does not run...
Same here.
User of Debian, LMDE, Mint and FreeBSD.
tojo72
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tojo72 »

(sorry for my English)
I've used Google Translate:
On boot of the live press E and replace quiet splash with nouveau.noaccel=1
Press CTRL + X and start
Once the boot phase is over, you can install LMDE with the nouveau drivers. The problem comes later, because following several tutorials I managed to install the nvidia drivers but not to make them work properly
persistentpenguin

Post by persistentpenguin »

Thank You tojo72. I will try your suggestion and report back when I can.

I did not think to try that because LMDE 4 has a boot entry for NVIDIA specifically and I thought I could just run it with that option and expected it would work.

Thanks to everyone else who responded - I did not expect such a quick response!

By the way tojo72 - no need to appologize for English - it was my first language and even I have trouble with it. I find it easier to speak others now - like Python and JavaScript.
nihilistmermaid
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nihilistmermaid »

I have the same issue right now.
And none of the mentioned fixes helped:(
Shall I give up on LMDE?
Darosicam

Post by Darosicam »

On the live boot, press 'e' to edit the install parameters.
You will see the word 'quiet' on one of the lines. Use arrow keys to get to a point right before the word 'Quiet'
and enter 'nomodeset' followed by a space. (N.B. you do not type the apostrophes). Then press F10.
This works on most of the varieties of Linux that I have tried.

I notice another answer which is a similar idea I think, but I haven'e yet tried that one.

This works for me, I hope it works for you. :)
Darosicam

Post by Darosicam »

There is another way which often works, Take the second install option of 'Comparability Mode'. In some flavours of Linux this simply uses a software display system, which is heavy on CPU usage, although in Linux Mint I think it may provide almost the same method as I posted above. using an open source video driver. You should install the recommended NVIDIA driver ASAP, IMHO :)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the reason is nothing to do with your computer settings, it is to do with initial availability of proprietary drivers, I think.

If anyone knows better, I would be very pleased to know. :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”