Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
champloo
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] LMDE 4 can't boot after Nvidida driver system update

Post by champloo »

A couple of days ago, Update Manager notified me of new kernel version (4.19.0-11-amd64). After the update, everything went well. However, today I got a notification from Update Manager regarding new Nvidia driver update. During installation, I received a warning. I was a bit lengthy warning, so I can't really remember what the exact message was, but it was in regard to incompatibility with kernel version. The warning message also said that usually the best way to fix this is to simply restart the system after update. Btw, every time kernel was updated, it was soon after following by Nvidia driver update with the same warning message, followed by a system restart and everything was fine.

However, this time around, system won't boot or it simply hangs at some point during boot process. At some point, I just get a blank screen with a keyboard cursor (_) just blinking at the top-left corner of the screen. Keyboard strokes are not responding at this point, but a restart does occur when I press Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Before the restart, for a moment, this message appears:

Code: Select all

[    18.345776] watchdog: watchdog0: watchdog did not stop!
[    18.909843] reboot: Restarting system
I ran recovery mode after this and a bunch of messages showed up on screen. At some point, everything stopped at this message:

[    51.209907] r8169 0000:04:00.0 enp4s0: Link is Up - 1 Gbps/Full - flow control off
[    51.210000] IPv6: ADDRCONF (NETDEV_CHANGE): enp4s0: link becomes ready
Again, keyboard strokes are not responding at this point, but Ctrl+Alt+Del can restart the system again.

Does anyone know how to fix this? I use Nvidia GTX 1070.
Last edited by champloo on Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LMDE 4 can't boot after Nvidida driver system update

Post by antikythera »

boot the previous kernel which is available in the grub menu under the advanced entry. where are you sourcing the nvidia driver from?
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
Mike_D
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mike_D »

I'm running a 'GeoForce GT640' card and I can confirm the same issue. I even tried booting into an older kernel, same issue. I settled on performing a Timeshift restore from previous day and set the Update Manager to ignore this Nvidia update.
Last edited by Mike_D on Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
champloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by champloo »

antikythera wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:43 pm
boot the previous kernel which is available in the grub menu under the advanced entry.
I already tried that and I get the same thing.
antikythera wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:43 pm
where are you sourcing the nvidia driver from?
I didn't understand this.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

Okay to phrase it another way, where did you get the nvidia driver you installed from? Is it a backport from the Debian repositories because if so they are not guaranteed to work.
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
champloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by champloo »

antikythera wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:29 pm
Okay to phrase it another way, where did you get the nvidia driver you installed from? Is it a backport from the Debian repositories because if so they are not guaranteed to work.
I don't really know, didn't pay attention to that. Update Manager notified me and that's it. One of the reasons I didn't wanna bother myself with paying attention to such things is that I chose Linux Mint since it's supposed to be newbie friendly, where you don't wanna stress out over things like these. When I searched for most convenient Linux distro for newbies a couple of months ago, Linux Mint came out on top, so I wasn't really expecting these kind of troubles.
SilFox
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SilFox »

When I searched for most convenient Linux distro for newbies a couple of months ago, Linux Mint came out on top, so I wasn't really expecting these kind of troubles.
Well, I think You picked a wrong edition. LMDE is not so user friendly, but Linux Mint 20 is. For experienced users this doesn't matter, but since You mention 'newbies friendly' I strongly suggest You LM20
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

SilFox wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:50 am
When I searched for most convenient Linux distro for newbies a couple of months ago, Linux Mint came out on top, so I wasn't really expecting these kind of troubles.
Well, I think You picked a wrong edition. LMDE is not so user friendly, but Linux Mint 20 is. For experienced users this doesn't matter, but since You mention 'newbies friendly' I strongly suggest You LM20
Agree with that entirely. However, just because there's a new build of drivers available doesn't mean you should use it unless you are experiencing GPU bugs of course.

With nvidia, you should really remove the old driver before attempting to install the newer build anyway (nouveau or fbdev in the meantime should at least give you a display to use). Certainly true for LMDE, as there's an upgrade blocker in the nvidia driver set installed by the meta package. Probably true for LM20 too as it is for all other Linux Distributions I have tried to date.
champloo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by champloo »

10 days later, I logged back into LMDE 4, hoping there will be some update which will fix this. Did 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo apt upgrade', but no fix. I ran 'sudo apt install nvidia-driver' and now everything is working again.

There's one thing which worries me, though. When I run 'flatpak list', I get 3 nvidia packages on that list:

nvidia-440-100
nvidia-440-82
nvidia-450-66
When I ran 'sudo apt install nvidia-driver', I remember that driver nvidia 4.5.0-xx (can't remember exactly which version) was downloaded and installed. What gives? Why these Flatpaks now?

Return to “Installation & Boot”