Can't see installer buttons on netbook

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
satyr37

Can't see installer buttons on netbook

Post by satyr37 »

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude 2100 (2010 model) with a 1,024 x 500 something max screen size.

When I tried to install LMDE4 I saw the CD icon for the installer, and clicked it, but it's buttons are below the screen.

I increased the screen size to maximum and all the other icons are very small now, but the Installer menu is still the same size and the 'radio' buttons are still below the screen. On top of that I don't know what I am toggling thru ALT-and other keys. Sometimes I make some progress but often I end up at square one with no installation.

Is there another way to install on a tiny screen with the Installer, or without the installer, to install LMDE?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Satyr37
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Can't see installer buttons on netbook

Post by MrEen »

Hi satyr37, and welcome to the forum.

I hope this will work in the installer;

Press and hold the Alt the key, then use your mouse to "grab" the window by left clicking and holding, then drag the window upward until you can see what you need to see.

Good luck.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Minor correction: The Dell Latitude 2100 (2010 model) has got a screen resolution of 1,024 x 600 (not 500).
But I know the problem. Same resolution on Acer Aspire One D260. It is a pain. :cry:
Have to follow the steps, explained by MrEen, frequently in order to navigate to the buttons at the bottom of dialogue boxes.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
satyr37

Post by satyr37 »

MrEen wrote: Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:26 pm Hi satyr37, and welcome to the forum.

I hope this will work in the installer;

Press and hold the Alt the key, then use your mouse to "grab" the window by left clicking and holding, then drag the window upward until you can see what you need to see.

Good luck.
Thank you, this did work! It moves the menu around so I can now have at the controls, but it doesn't resize them. Not a biggie.

Ironically I had tried ALT before but moving the menu didn't occur to me. I just tried to resize it. If it is of any use, apparently resizing does not work on this menu, but moving it around does.

Next question, I may have to repost a new question.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Even after the install, there'll probably be a few windows you can't resize. But most won't have that issue.
logomage
Level 1
Level 1

Post by logomage »

Thank god for this tip! - I'd gone so far beyond tearing my hair that I'd given up on LMDE in fact, and installed another OS instead - but then I thought I'd have one last try, and found the answer here!

..... it never occurred to me that the activation buttons you had to select from to make the installation start were sitting below screen at the bottom of the installation panel, and I just couldn't see them.
jelabarre59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jelabarre59 »

But even though there is a little hack to move the window, it seems like there's a lot of wasted space on the installer window.
freshminted
Level 4
Level 4

Post by freshminted »

I used the hacks suggested in viewtopic.php?t=274086 to generally fix this after installation, but you will still run into windows that need to be moved with the ALT trick sometimes.
Complete World Domination within five years.

Return to “Installation & Boot”