Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cretsiah
Level 2
Level 2

LMDE4 VM issue on win10

Post by cretsiah »

Ok so I was attempting to do as xenopeek suggested in relation to desktop env trinity " run a vm first see how it goes "

however with the hardware i have, i ran into issues that now means the only way to try is on bare metal.....

Hardware:
Gigabyte 970A-D3P v2 motherboard
AMD FX 8320 Eight Core Black edition
adata 800 SSD - 500gig
1 TB HDD (cant remember brand)
1 TB HDD (cant remember brand)
16gig G.Skill 1600mhz ram
750watt PSU
Radeon RX 550 4gig graphics card

the problem i ran into with the VM: ( virtual box 6.1 )
first option black screens
LMDE4 boots in compatibilty mode only , takes awhile
attempting to install to the vbox drive ( 20gig) just doesnt want to happen.
live disk runs like a sack of potatoes.

I came across this post
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/12 ... t-14151236

and wondered whether or not this would cause me such a bad vm run or if something else might cause it.
so i thought i would try Devuan instead and while i could do things in live disk mode it wouldnt install to the drive, but live disk mode did work quite nicely, so i really dont know.

so how i think i want to boot:
as i havent been able to examine as yet the installer for LMDE4 i would like to know what steps i need (through the installer) to achieve a dual boot with this configuration,

adata drive (drive 0) - windows disk management says MBR mode
120gig win10 ( C:) (currently setup)
120gig LMDE \ ( to be installed )

1TB HDD WINDOWS STUFF AND GAMES ( D:) (drive 1) (currently setup) - windows disk management says MBR mode
1TB HHD LMDE \home ( to be installed) ( drive 2 ) - windows disk management says MBR mode
CD/DVD ( E: )
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LMDE4 VM issue on win10

Post by antikythera »

why not just boot this ISO from USB stick and see if you like it?

http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/tr ... ntu/focal/
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
cretsiah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cretsiah »

A) because i already know I like Trinity desktop (even if the rumours were true about security, i honestly wouldnt have a clue)
B) thats ubuntu and not Mint or Debian
C) LMDE is the last Systemd based distro im going to look at
D) I dont like the refractor installer from Devuan
E) Debian doesnt really come with wifi drivers
F) I only put win10 back on this system because I could no longer stand the severe red tinge in Far Cry Primal let alone the red/white flashing and the sudden broken/shattered windscreen effect that happened at night fall, with a then suddenly blindly bright sunlight effect showing through that shattered window...... it was rather horrendous....
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

I was not privy to your previous discussions so how am I supposed to know what you already like or tried out? :lol:

Mint is heavily based on Ubuntu, there is no separate Mint base.

LMDE4 is frankendebian and only really a backup plan in case Ubuntu takes even more silly decisions that Clem doesn't like in future. While I and other users are quite happily using LMDE4 it's not the main supported edition by any means.

The installer called Calamares will allow you to do what you want, (install alongside using free space) just resize W10 using Windows Disk Management tool first. It's the safer method. Because it's MBR the grub menu should also install fine and detect windows 10. If it fails, use the boot repair tool on the LMDE4 ISO.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
cretsiah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cretsiah »

sorry for sounding blunt :oops:
I was not privy to your previous discussions so how am I supposed to know what you already like or tried out?
you asked i told, trinity (at least last time i looked at it was snappier than even xfce )
however if the cinamon version works smoother/ decently in LMDE than LM then i might keep it instead.
Mint is heavily based on Ubuntu
but it works better for me, well at least the XFCE version does Cinamon was sluggish
LMDE4 is frankendebian
thats fine by me, whilst debian still has for now sysvinit as an alt to systemd and still appears to be allowing i386 arch, ubuntu does not.

only other choices were:
Devuan - a little more stable/slower release with hardware benefits ( aka wifi ) out of the box
Artix - arch/manjaro rolling style but no systemd

Manjaro - kinda lost me when the only version of worth to me, was Manjaro Open-RC as their main sytemd version was worse than running windows on my test systems..
The installer called Calamares will allow you to do what you want, (install alongside using free space) just resize W10 using Windows Disk Management tool first. It's the safer method. Because it's MBR the grub menu should also install fine and detect windows 10.
good because this had me rather worried :? :(
viewtopic.php?f=250&t=329765

Return to “Installation & Boot”