Before you post please read how to get help
antikythera
Level 10
Level 10

Re: installing LMDE4 fron live CD

Post by antikythera »

DougB wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 pm
I have Mint 20. It's LMDE4 on my PC I'm trying to get, having preferred LMDE3 to Mint 19 in the past and being able to run LMDE4 on a laptop
Well you may be out of luck for your PC until LMDE5 is released unfortunately. The LMDE4 ISO doesn't get incremental updates like Debian releases do throughout their lifecycle.
vimes666
Level 4
Level 4

Post by vimes666 »

You mentioned repeating messages like this: hpet1: lost 9600 rtc interrupts
Maybe it is not booting due to a clock conflict.
It is a long shot but this may work:

If you boot from the dvd in the same manner as you did when adding the nomodeset option, but instead of adding nomodeset add hpet=disable

This will disable the high precision clock for the live session. The system will use another clock thus avoiding the conflict.
If you think the issue is solved, edit your original post and add the word solved to the title.
DougB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DougB »

I tried the experiment of booting LMDE3 from live DVD.
To my surprise I was able to install LMDE3 on this machine, so I suppose it's the regressions introduced by going from LMDE3->LMDE4 that have made the LMDE4 disc unbootable.
However, LMDE3 installed without graphics drivers, giving a poor definition 1024x768 laptop display.

I've attempted to follow the instructions given by cpvedrettiin's link (viewtopic.php?p=1846039#p1846039) for LMDE4.
I found that the latest kernel available to me was 4.19.0; installed that; proceeded to git and downloaded amgpu; did the rest and rebooted.
Display is still 1024x768 laptop.

On further checking I see there are no rayzen. bin files anywhere in /lib/firmware/amgpu.
Is it possible to download and install these from somewhere?
DougB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by DougB »

Is there anything I can take from a Mint 20 installation on another desktop, a machine identical (apart from OS) to this one?

Return to “Installation & Boot”