Cinnamon edition display bug?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Cinnamon edition display bug?

Post by screenshot »

so i'm having an issue where i have a multiboot system with win10 etc, but the display goes wild at totally random times - sometimes it loads everything up as normal, but sometimes it replaces the normal win10 and win7 loading animations with some dark fuzzy lines(so i can't see where is the process at, etc), and sometimes only replaces for win7 when the first win10 bootloader animation looks totally normal...

so i'm having a wild guess that this is just an issue with the cinnamon edition and i should install the mate version instead? and can i just install it on top of the previous one after all linux partitions are formatted? and the new grub will find all of the windows installations too then? or would the system need some restart in the middle and then i won't see any bootloaders at all after the formatting part or smth? :roll:

it probably wouldn't be an issue, but it sometimes replaces all of the recovery and disk scan modes with the same dark line screen, so i can't even see any of the options that it gives me etc...
(it's a dell i7 laptop)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cinnamon edition display bug?

Post by screenshot »

oh well... there doesn't even seem to be any Lmde mate version at all, so i should just use the main edition mate version instead?
or can the issue be fixed in a future Lmde release? :roll:
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

If you use the BIOS boot menu to boot Windows instead of grub selection do you get the same distortion? Also, once Windows boots and you are using it is everything normal or does the display go funny at random intervals?

You can install MATE and remove Cinnamon. However if it's display driver related it may not make any difference. By all means try the main edition because it has newer kernels and xorg stack anyway which may help. Mint 20 is a long term support version anyway.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

i haven't tried the bios version yet, but everything works totally fine after it boots into windows(es).
did i need some special tool to replace grub with bios version tho? and i can just format all of the linux partitions and then just mount a new installation into those?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

No, you press whichever function key your system or board manufacturer assigned to the bios boot menu (check the manual, it may be F8, F11, F12 etc.).

You don't need to install something different just yet but yes you can format the existing partitions and re-use them ultimately if you do want to install Mint 20.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ah ok, that one... i think it will only give me a main device option and not any partitions... but i think that i could replace the grub version with somekind of win10 bootloader also with some 3rd party application...
and would a future Lmde edition fix this weird display bug then?

Return to “Installation & Boot”