does not boot after kernel update 4.19.0-11

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ahmad88me

does not boot after kernel update 4.19.0-11

Post by ahmad88me »

I 've been using the latest mint with kernel 4.19.0-8 then 4.19.0-10. Both was working well. After I updated to the newer kernel 4.19.0-11 it stopped working. I've also tried updating it to 4.19.0-13, I've got the same issue.

[ISSUE]
The issue is that it shows the mint logo, but then a black screen. The linux prompt shows for like a second and then disappears and reverts back to the black screen. I wait and nothing happens.

[MACHINE]
I am using an old macbook pro with 4 GB ram (2010) of 13 inch and Nvidia card.

[NOTE]
I am now using the advanced option when I boot and choose the old kernel (4.19.0-10) and it works with that.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: does not boot after kernel update 4.19.0-11

Post by Pierre »

Hi ahmad88me,
welcome to our form
:)

the standard 'fix' is to drop back, to that older kernel,
as it does happen, where an newer kernel is not as reliable.

there trick here, is to Automate that 'fix',
by adjusting the Grub Boot Menu itself.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Those kernels indicate LMDE4 not the Main Edition but anyway follow Pierre's pointers and you should be okay. If you alter grub to boot a last choice instead of the latest it will always boot 4.19.0-10 until you change that choice again. To make that happen edit /etc/default/grub so that it says the following entries:

Code: Select all

GRUB_DEFAULT=saved
GRUB_SAVEDEFAULT=true
save the changes if you needed to make them and then sudo update-grub
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

ahmad88me wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:52 amI 've been using the latest mint with kernel 4.19.0-8 then 4.19.0-10.
Kindly post the output of the terminal command

inxi -Sxxx
so that we learn, which Linux Mint precisely you are using, Linux Mint Debian Edition, LMDE 4, or Linux Mint 18.x/19.x/20.x.

Note:
You may have to boot to a previous kernel in order to start up your system, because you report that your system does not boot with kernel 4.19.0-11.
You can select a previous kernel on startup in the Grub boot menu.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
ahmad88me

Post by ahmad88me »

Thanks for your reply all :)

Here is the output.

Kernel: 4.19.0-10-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc 
  v: 8.3.0 Desktop: MATE 1.20.4 info: mate-panel wm: marco 1.20.3 
  dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: LMDE 4 Debbie base: Debian 10.2 buster 
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Thank you, ahmad88me. inxi confirms what antikythera had already suspected: you are using LMDE 4.
This thread has been moved to the corresponding LMDE sub-forum.
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Does your machine run on the terminal (tty1 to tty7)? If so, then its 'merely' a crash of the X server or possibly lightdm.
Have you looked at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and what does it tell you?
Have yo tried the 'nomodeset' kernel option yet?
frogfroggy

Post by frogfroggy »

Hi everyone, I am curious how this issue will be solved since I ran into a similar issue that "cinnamon X" could not load. Moreover, even falling back into the previous kernel did not work for me. LightDM started but after successfully logging in the same error that X did not load. I since reinstalled the OS and blacklisted the kernel for updating and am "stuck" in kernel 4.19.0-8 until there is a valid solution. However, I have not tried the "nomodeset" which I might try after making a backup.

Return to “Installation & Boot”