lmde4 won't install, says "unable to run on non-dell system"

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cithara

lmde4 won't install, says "unable to run on non-dell system"

Post by cithara »

I'm trying to install LMDE4 on an Acer laptop, and it always says "unable to run on non-dell system". Right now I'm using LM with Xfce, and I have no problems installing any Linux Mint distro, as well as any Ubuntu distro on this laptop. But I can't seem to get LMDE4 to install. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cpedretti
Level 3
Level 3

Re: lmde4 won't install, says "unable to run on non-dell system"

Post by cpedretti »

cithara wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:05 am I'm trying to install LMDE4 on an Acer laptop, and it always says "unable to run on non-dell system". Right now I'm using LM with Xfce, and I have no problems installing any Linux Mint distro, as well as any Ubuntu distro on this laptop. But I can't seem to get LMDE4 to install. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi, It seems as though libsmbios-c2 was installed automatically.

Due to the particular package being provided by Dell it would look for the BIOS extensions for that.

That should be just a warning and not a critical error. You could go into the Recovery mode, after log into the root account just type:

Code: Select all

modinfo dell-smbios
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 RGB White - RTX4060TI O8GB White- SSD NVME Crucial P5 500GB - Mobo Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550 V2 - PSU Corsair RM750 White - Case Corsair 5000D Airflow White 7 fans AF120 ARGB - AIO Corsair H100I Cappelix 240 White
cithara

Re: lmde4 won't install, says "unable to run on non-dell system"

Post by cithara »

I did a search for "libsmbios-c2" in File Manager and yes, it's installed. I also put "modinfo dell-smbios" in terminal and it says a lot. Do you want me to paste any of that in here?

Thanks,
cithara

Return to “Installation & Boot”