Install Mint on top of Debian

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crist0phe

Install Mint on top of Debian

Post by crist0phe »

Hi,

I want to install LMDE on a very recent laptop and LMDE4 install media does not work (no GUI).
Debian Bullseye install media seems to work, so I want to try to setup Debian Bullseye and then add Mint packages.
What packages should I install to "Mintify" my Debian ?

Alternative solution: Is there any "edge" install media as there is for Mint Ubuntu ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
hazel-bunny
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Install Mint on top of Debian

Post by hazel-bunny »

LMDE 4 is based on buster, so pulling in mint packages will probably cause dependency hell, or worse, a bullseye system to break. Use debian bullseye cinnamon for now.
Hardware problems on LMDE? Solution:
sudo apt-get install -t buster-backports linux-image-amd64 firmware-linux firmware-misc-nonfree

To use a version of LMDE after EOL, replace mint's Firefox with debian's one
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

crist0phe wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:18 pm Hi,

"I want to install LMDE on a very recent laptop and LMDE4 install media does not work (no GUI)."

The download for LMDE4 found here is really no different than how you would normally install any of the other flavors of Linux Mint since even 2012. It is a normal GUI based deal as it's a .iso file you can burn to a usb thumb drive ( or an ssd like I do ..love that speed) using USB Image Writer program that is already installed by default in Linux Mint ( Accessories section of the cinnamon menu )

https://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

I don't know how or why you came to that conclusion. (scratches head)
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

@motoryzen LMDE4 doesn't get the interim ISO releases that Debian Buster does so it is entirely possible for it not to boot to a GUI on the most recent hardware. LMDE4 ISO is Debian Buster ISO build 10.2 and Buster has had 5 more ISO releases since then with newer kernel packages and modules of course.

@crist0phe - It may be possible but certainly not easy to mintify Debian. It's not just a case of adding repositories and signatures, there are pinned packages to set as well. If you check the LMDE4 section of the forum, there may well be a walk through but I don't recall if there is or not.

What I would say is this, Mint 20 and 20.1 have support just as long as Debian Buster (until Buster reaches end of long term support status) so you could use the main edition safe in the knowledge you won't need to upgrade in the same time period if that is your main impetus behind choosing the Debian path. I recently switched from LMDE4 to Mint 20.1 myself partly because of this but also I found that my LAN adaptor works better with the HWE kernel offered by the main edition than Debian's 4.19 or backported ones.
Last edited by antikythera on Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Debian Bullseye supports the latest Cinnamon DE 4.8.6, but it's ofc lacking the decidedly 'mint' packages like mintinstall, mintupdate, mintwelcome.

This may link help you:
https://www.linuxcompatible.org/story/d ... ve-images/

Return to “Installation & Boot”