delete last multiboot partition to add more os installs?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

delete last multiboot partition to add more os installs?

Post by screenshot »

so i need to add some more systems to the machine, but i would have to delete the last os first(linux) to change that to extended partiton instead, but would it even boot up at all if i delete it, add 1-2 more windows os-es to the new extended+logical partitions and then linux as the last one again?
i dont mind using some recovery bootfix also, as long as all data on the first os-es are left untouched...

...the main issue seems to be that the 4th partition actually is extended+logical already, but all of the free space is before that, on the 3rd partition, so it would probably not be possible to transfer some of that into the beginning of the 4th one, and then install another os on that even less probable, because only linux can be installed as the last one?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DraganTheMighty

Re: delete last multiboot partition to add more os installs?

Post by DraganTheMighty »

By spending time resizing and moving partitions you can do it, but in such cases there is no guarantee for your data.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ok, but deleting the last linux os will work more quickly then and all new windows os-es will see the old ones too to create a proper boot order or smth?
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

yes? :?
DraganTheMighty

I don't know how new windows new installs will behave concerning the boot manager.
If you install in the end linux mint grub will be able to see any windows installs.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

now i can probably try it, but should i just stop the newest win installation after it has copied all of the files or do i still have to let it boot up somehow to finalize all of the configs too? or would it even boot up if it cant even find a proper boot partition or smth...
DraganTheMighty

screenshot wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:28 pm now i can probably try it, but should i just stop the newest win installation after it has copied all of the files or do i still have to let it boot up somehow to finalize all of the configs too? or would it even boot up if it cant even find a proper boot partition or smth...
As I told you I don't know enough for windows installations but I think that you should let it finalize to be sure. If you let it finish it will boot, I believe.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ok thanks - it booted up fine and later even deleted 1 of the unused boot options automatically, but first it did the scandisk thing for some reason, on the largest partition where i also took most of the space from for the extended partition... so i can basically even wait with the last installation now, because everything is just working fine somehow...

Return to “Installation & Boot”