Problem with automatic installation of the Nvidia driver

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
alyar

Problem with automatic installation of the Nvidia driver

Post by alyar »

Hello! I ask for help on this issue: when installing LMDE 4 (I install from a live DVD), the process practically freezes (about 70%) when performing the operation Copying /usr/share/live-installer/nvidia-driver.tar.gz. The mouse cursor sometimes freezes completely, sometimes it moves, but nothing in the system interface works (it is impossible to close the installation program, it is impossible to enter the system menu, etc., it is possible to reboot only through reset). Speech, the live dvd also does not load if menu select the item Start with Nvidia driver (the LM splash screen is constantly on the screen, it does not go further) I think that this is a problem with the automatic installation of the Nvidia driver, the function of which is implemented in LMDE 4 (I installed LMDE 3 without problems, as well as others Linux distributions are installed and running, including LM 20.1). Maybe someone knows how to solve this problem. (My hardware: ASUS P5Q SE, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600, NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT, 6GB RAM, HDD Hitachi HDP725016GLA380 160 Gb) Thank you for your attention!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Problem with automatic installation of the Nvidia driver

Post by antikythera »

You have corrupt install media, try burning it again or use a USB thumb drive instead. Also that card you have is old enough not to warrant using the nvidia proprietary driver as it will work fine with nouveau.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
alyar

Re: Problem with automatic installation of the Nvidia driver

Post by alyar »

antikythera wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:23 am You have corrupt install media, try burning it again or use a USB thumb drive instead. Also that card you have is old enough not to warrant using the nvidia proprietary driver as it will work fine with nouveau.
Yes, indeed, the problem was in the damaged DVD. With USB the system installed without problems. Thanks for the hint!

Return to “Installation & Boot”