multiboot error with m2 disk?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

multiboot error with m2 disk?

Post by screenshot »

so i did some partition resize and then only 1 windows os loaded up via the blue screen(winload.exe missing etc) & it's F9 option, but could i get the main loader back via these simple commands then?:

Code: Select all

bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
(bootrec /RebuildBcd)
and then it will only fix the windows part of the loader and grub will still work as usual? (the main grub part seems to be functioning atm, i just didn't check if it will actually load linux up too or not...)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Re: multiboot error with m2 disk?

Post by screenshot »

if i just make some volume as active via diskpart, then that will actually remove grub or smth and that will be even worse situation?
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

now it only says this after /scanos.... :
total identified win installations: 1
f:\win
the operation completed successfully. (??)
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

now i tried the rest of the commands too, but /rebuild still showed only 1 os, so i did not add that into the list and /fixboot gave "access denied" error...
so is that like a hint to something and how can i fix it then to get the bootloader back... or is it like grub2 fault or smth, becuz that should have been like the last os with its own bootloader?
plus it actually does show all of the windows volumes under the troubleshooting startup options (in the installation repair mode)
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

? :?
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

You will get response in Windows forums.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

With win onboard I would put the bootloader on the same partition as the linux install
and move this drive to the top of the boot order in bios.
That keeps the linux bootloader (grub) away from win updates to it's own bootloader.
Try booting into your linux installation and run the following terminal inquiry:

sudo os-prober
Is the win system listed?
Then run:

sudo update-grub
Reboot.
also look at:

lsblk
and

blkid
Please share those results
If you can't get booted to the linux install then
boot using your live dvd/flash .iso to get this info
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

i can probably try that now, but if it turns out too complicated, then its maybe just easier to install everything from scratch again, lol...

and i can probably use the boot cd only, because it doesnt even list the linux partition/grub options anywhere in the win10 troubleshoot options...
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

all41 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:49 am With win onboard I would put the bootloader on the same partition as the linux install
That keeps the linux bootloader (grub) away from win updates to it's own bootloader.
Try booting into your linux installation and run the following terminal inquiry:

sudo os-prober
this probably says that the win bootlaoder is on the separate 500mb partition? (says Windows 10:Windows:chain)

how could i update grub with the Live Cd tho.. becuase now it says (sudo update-grub): failed to get canonical path of 'overlay'
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

i could maybe try this, but my disks are actually called "nvme0n1pX", so what should the last "grub install /dev/sda" part look like?

https://dai-trying.com/tutorials/instal ... g-live-cd/
(or is that install command still the same, as it just points to the /dev/sda folder on the n1p8 partition? :roll:

and the grub bootloader should be on the "nvme0n1p8" partition then, as it is 175mb in size and i know that i made that manually to be the future linux boot partition? altho the "sudo blkid" shows that there is also somekind of "dos" nvme0n1" partition(?) in front of all of those other partitions...

or is the "/dev/sda" folder in a completely different location then, if it should be actually installed on the 150mb separate partition? :shock: :?
altho i do remember that i had to choose the default "/dev/sda" in the installation wizard itself as any other selection simply did not even work at all...
Last edited by screenshot on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

now i managed to take a look that there is a "grub" folder on p8 (linux boot partition), but no "sda" folder in the p9 "/dev" folder, so where should i reinstall the grub into or which partition to mount even? :roll:
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

A few misconceptions here.

First, look in your BIOS boot list, you should see an entry for 'windows bootloader' and another for 'ubuntu' (this is mint). If you have an entry for 'ubuntu' move it to the top of your BIOS boot list. Mint will then boot and should give you a grub menu for either mint or win.

I think you are booting in UEFI mode so
is wrong. It is applicable to legacy boot not UEFI boot. In UEFI boot you select the bootloader in BIOS, in legacy boot you select the drive the bootloader is on in BIOS.
and the grub bootloader should be on the "nvme0n1p8" partition then, as it is 150mb in size and i know that i made that manually to be the future linux boot partition?
No. When you installed windows it will have created an EFI partition (this is where the bootloaders live). It is probably nvme0n1p1. Boot your mint install stick, open a terminal and post the output from sudo parted --list. Post the output between code markers (the </> button above the reply window, more info here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=338297). When mint installed it looks for an EFI partition and installs the bootloader in it. It will have ignored nvme0n1p8 (and did you format it fat32 and set the flags esp & boot?).

The naming convention for M.2 drives with a pcie interface is different to a sata drive. For a standard sata drive the first drive in the system is sda, the next sdb. The first partition on the first drive is sda1, the next sda2. On the second drive the first partition would be sdb1. With nvme drives the first drive is nvme0n1, the next drive would be nvme1n1. Partitions are nvme0n1p1, the next nvme0n1p2.

I do not think you need to re-install grub at this stage and posting the output from sudo os-prober would be helpful. It will help us to figure out what you have done.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

multiboot system cant have uefi, so i only have legacy etc...
and p8 does have a grub folder, so how can i edit those grub re-install commands to fit the m2 disk?
os-prober etc pic here:
https://i.imgur.com/0WP7zLN.jpeg
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

screenshot wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:16 pm multiboot system cant have uefi, so i only have legacy etc...
That is just wrong!
But since you seem have ignored what I've suggested, I'll leave you to your own devices.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

i am not interested in your monostretch systems anyway as it is completely offtopic, so you can actually keep your keyboard to yourself, surprisingly so :shock:

should i reinstall grub on p8 or p9 tho? because the bootloader controlling os is on p9, but the actual grub itself is on p8? :roll:
screenshot
Level 2
Level 2

Post by screenshot »

ok, i probably try it with this edit and see how that goes?:
TARGET=/mnt/nvme0n1p9 etc...
grub install /dev/nvme0n1 etc...
https://dai-trying.com/tutorials/instal ... g-live-cd/

altho, if i later want to choose the windows chain loader, then it will still fail because of that winload.exe error and i wont get most of the windows os-es anyway? :roll:
https://i.imgur.com/wPRJ3Uh.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Fb3pnVW.jpeg

Return to “Installation & Boot”