.<SOLVED> Any problems dual booting LMDE 4?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

.<SOLVED> Any problems dual booting LMDE 4?

Post by Linny »

Are there any known problems with dual booting LMDE 4 with Windows 7? I'm on a 10 year old computer with no UEFI. I'm particularly interested in whether or not Windows will show up in the Grub menu. I'm about ready to install LMDE 4 and I'd prefer not to have any nasty surprises. This is my wife's computer and she has sub-zero tolerance for any kind of computer problems.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Any problems dual booting LMDE 4?

Post by Moonstone Man »

Linny wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:42 pm Are there any known problems with dual booting LMDE 4 with Windows 7? I'm on a 10 year old computer with no UEFI. I'm particularly interested in whether or not Windows will show up in the Grub menu. I'm about ready to install LMDE 4 and I'd prefer not to have any nasty surprises. This is my wife's computer and she has sub-zero tolerance for any kind of computer problems.
There should be no issues or surprises. The only real gotcha can happen if you install Windows 7 after Linux because Windows will overwrite the Linux bootloader, so the solution is to always install Linux last. Two mistakes that a lot of people make are a) not providing enough space for Linux, and b) not putting any forethought into the space they actually need and what their partition scheme should be.

Linux doesn't need much space and it will install to a partition as small as a little over 10 or 12GB but this fails to take into account future usage. I always recommend a minimum of 32GB for root, plus whatever you think you will need for file storage. If you intend to create an NTFS partition to share files with Windows 7 then 32GB-42GB will be more than enough for future expansion.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Linny »

OK, so I guess maybe I'll give it a shot. But, should I uh be taking your reply with a bit of uh salt?
linux-rox
Level 10
Level 10

Post by linux-rox »

Linny wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:14 am ... should I uh be taking your reply with a bit of uh salt?
Was going to add a comment or two, but never mind. :roll:
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Linny »

Finally got around to installing LMDE 4. Getting the dual boot setup wasn't as automatic as I would have liked, but I managed. Part of my problem was that I had a large portion of my drive unallocated. Figuring out how to remedy that was actually the hard part. It's called not knowing what I was doing. I even got Google Chrome installed, but only because that is what my wife is used to. So consider this solved.

Return to “Installation & Boot”