LMDE4 encrypted next to windows7 ?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zeitbremse
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE4 encrypted next to windows7 ?

Post by zeitbremse »

hello, i have 2 laptops, on one i installed LMDE4 by using the full disk, while doing so i was able to choose in the installieng routine full disk encryption. so far it works fine.

now i have my second laptop on wich i have windows7 installed on a small partition of the disk, and i would like to install LMDE4 on it's own partition parallel so that it is encrypted, not only the home directory or the personal folders but the whole LMDE4.

the installation routine does not offer anything when you don't use the full disk for LMDE4 (full disk encryption) what would mean i would have to delete my existing windows7.

does anybody have a solution for this problem, or i am the only one who wants both systems parallel and having LMDE4 encrypted ?

i am now fully lost as i don't know how to continue.

thank you very much for answers in advance !
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE4 encrypted next to windows7 ?

Post by antikythera »

make a separate /home partition and encrypt that after install

https://feeding.cloud.geek.nz/posts/enc ... ory-using/
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
zeitbremse
Level 1
Level 1

Post by zeitbremse »

Thank you for the answer, would that /home encryption be equivalent safe as a full disk encryption, or more clearly asked, would it fully encrypt the LMDE4 system and all his actions on the disk ?
Dr. Octagon
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dr. Octagon »

zeitbremse wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:57 am Thank you for the answer, would that /home encryption be equivalent safe as a full disk encryption, or more clearly asked, would it fully encrypt the LMDE4 system and all his actions on the disk ?
No, if only the /home is encrypted, only the user-specific queries, settings and other "inputs" are actually encrypted. This means that everything else, in fact the whole system/installation is unencrypted.
So I would advise: Mind the gap...so, don't let Windows (whoever) on the same harddisk where Linux is running, because otherwise everything is CLOSED SOURCE - even Linux. ;)

Cu
Dr. Octagon
A good stumbler doesn't fall...
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Even better, if you are new to linux avoid full disk encryption. It adds another layer of complexity, bork your system and it can be impossible to get it back. If you have stuff that you feel you REALLY need to protect, then there are alternative tools such as veracrypt or encfs.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Installation & Boot”