[SOLVED] Kernel Updates in LMDE

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glamtrains

[SOLVED] Kernel Updates in LMDE

Post by Glamtrains »

I returned to Mint from the temperamental Arch-ish distros, where one had easy ways to do kernel updates. Back in LMDE4, I find nowhere to review kernel updates and my Update Manager don't even have a kernel option in View.

Does the kernel get updated automatically to a newer version, or should I somehow have my finger on the pulse somewhere?

Manjaro killed support for my GeForce GT740M graphics bit through kernel updates. Unlike vanilla Mint Cinnamon Ulyssa, I don't even see hardware drivers for my graphics here.

What uname -a brings up:
pete@debbie:~$ uname -a
Linux debbie 4.19.0-16-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.181-1 (2021-03-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux
pete@debbie:~$
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Kernel Updates in LMDE

Post by jwiz »

Debian (and thus LMDE4) is unlike Arch & derviates a jumping release not a rolling one.
So you are stuck with the 'boxed' kernel until the next major release unless you manually install the latest kernel image from the buster-backports repo.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Glamtrains wrote: Linux debbie 4.19.0-16-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.181-1 (2021-03-19) x86_64 GNU/Linux
4.19.181-1 is the current kernel for the Debian 10 stable codebase.

Edit: https://packages.debian.org/buster/kernel/
Glamtrains

[Solved] Re: Kernel Updates in LMDE

Post by Glamtrains »

Thanks. I was aware of it being a jumping release yet did not know it would lag so far behind, but then that is what makes Debian more stable. I can write horror stories about the Arch's coming up blank next morning when booting up. I am here to live life; not to entertain Lenovo, so I prefer the safer routes, always as it frees me from having to rescue or tweaking things all day long. I am retired and only use it for email, basic browsing and Hypnotix.

Thanks for the advice, have a good one.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

In Debian/LMDE4 you can always load a kernel backport (from the backports repository).
I did (because I got a new PC):-

Kernel: 5.10.0-0.bpo.5-amd64 x86_64 seems to work ok, (mostly).
Glamtrains

Re: [SOLVED] Kernel Updates in LMDE

Post by Glamtrains »

Thanks

Return to “Installation & Boot”