[SOLVED] Cannot install LMDE4 from USB stick

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

[SOLVED] Cannot install LMDE4 from USB stick

Post by br1anstorm »

I'm changing and (re)installing the operating systems on one of my laptops after adding an additional SSD.... and I came across something slightly odd.

I had prepared separate bootable USB sticks with the ISOs of Mint 19.3 and LMDE4 (and another with MXLinux....). All ran successfully in Live sessions.

I've been a Mint XFCE user for years, but thought I might give LMDE4 a go. So I booted up that USB stick, and clicked the "Install" icon on screen. Nothing happened. So, thinking it might be a slight problem with the icon, I then opened the menu, found the 'install' entry there, and clicked. Nothing happened.

So .... I gave up and instead booted into a Live session of Mint 19.3 from that USB. Clicked on the 'Install' icon..... and away we went. So I went ahead and installed Mint 19.3 instead.

Which leaves the unanswered question: why wouldn't LMDE4 install from its USB, when all the other actions/operations function properly in a Live session from that stick? I can't now recall exactly when I created the USB, but I think I made them all (LMDE4, Mint 19.3 and MXLinux) at about the same time, on the same brand and model of Sandisk USB, and - I think - using Rufus (in Windows) to actually make the bootable USBs from the saved ISOs.

It's no big deal. I'll get round to making another attempt to install LMDE4 at some stage. But I'd still like to know why its USB wouldn't play when I tried....
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Cannot install LMDE4 from USB stick

Post by spamegg »

This is a known issue, it's probably because LMDE4 iso comes with an older kernel and the installation does not work on newer hardware.

I had this issue myself during a beta and I saw that it was reported: https://github.com/linuxmint/lmde-4-cin ... /issues/50

There is not much that can be done because LMDE4 is based on an older Debian release, and that Debian version's default kernel is simply behind.

The purpose of LMDE is to see how much work would be needed from the Mint devs if they had to abandon Ubuntu base. It's not their primary focus so they don't put too much work into LMDE. Mint devs would have to go through modifying the Debian base they are working with, put a new kernel in there and everything, and it's probably too much work for them. They simply have to wait for upstream changes in Debian to switch to a newer kernel. These issues would probably go away in LMDE5 when they base it on the latest Debian version with a newer kernel.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks @spamegg - I rather suspected I wasn't the first to come across the problem.... although I thought that it might be something to do with the USB stick itself.

The odd thing is that I wasn't trying to install LMDE4 into a new high-spec machine, but into a Lenovo T230 laptop which must be at least three or four years old, with an Intel Core i5-3320M CPU. And (although the install process wouldn't even begin) I would have been trying to install it in Legacy mode on that machine, so the UEFI angle seems irrelevant.

And when all the other click-icons in the menu seem to work when running in a Live session of LMDE from that USB stick, how is it that the 'install' one doesn't? This may be a technical issue that is well outside my comfort zone!

EDIT: a bit more information (or another clue). I booted from that same USB stick into a Live session of LMDE4 on another laptop (an HP Elitebook 820, again not a new machine - has an Intel Core i5-4300 CPU). Again, all the click-icon options worked in Live session - but the "Install Linux Mint" did not function, either from the on-screen icon or from within the menu. Go figure....
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

The LMDE4 kernel is newer than the 19.3 kernel--out of the box

This is incorrect :oops: :roll:

LMDE4 installs 4.19 kernel, Mint 19.3 installs 5.0 series ootb
doh
Last edited by all41 on Wed May 26, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

all41 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:28 pm The LMDE4 kernel is newer than the 19.3 kernel--out of the box
It is? Huh interesting, my bad then. Apologies for the false info.
They must have updated the ISO, it was quite a long while ago when I tried to install it.
Then there is some other issue.
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Cannot install LMDE4 from USB stick

Post by br1anstorm »

I don't want to be accused of double posting.... but I started a thread in the main forum before noticing that there was an "installation" subforum in this LMDE section.

So I mention it here in case LMDE experts don't browse the main forums!

The issue, in a nutshell, is that the "Install" icon/command simply doesn't work in a Live session of LMDE4 running from a bootable USB stick. The Live session itself runs normally, and all the other click-buttons work fine. My earlier post was at viewtopic.php?f=46&t=349797, but the moderators have now kindly moved and merged it, so those earlier posts are above....

I've tried the same USB stick in two separate laptops. Same problem. Is there some flaw in the original LMDE4 ISO, I wonder? I think I downloaded it about six months ago (and checked its integrity then). Any thoughts would be welcome.
Last edited by br1anstorm on Tue May 25, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

br1anstorm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:23 am I don't want to be accused of double posting.... but I started a thread in the main forum before noticing that there was an "installation" subforum in this LMDE section.
That is what we call 'double posting' though. :wink:
Both topics now merged. If it happens again, please ask a moderator to move your posting to the correct location (reporting it is a good way to do so). Even if there was no 'Installation and boot' subforum under the LMDE section, a topic about LMDE does not belong in the Main Edition section. That way lies confusion and time-wasting.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

I suggest that you prepare a USB stick with only LMDE 4 installation, without LM 19.3 and MXLinux. Use terminal command similar to dd bs=4M if=/home/user/Downloads/lmde-4-cinnamon-64bit.iso of=/dev/sdx status=progress && sync.

Reards, Jože
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Moem wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:32 am
That is what we call 'double posting' though. :wink:
Both topics now merged. If it happens again, please ask a moderator to move your posting to the correct location (reporting it is a good way to do so). Even if there was no 'Installation and boot' subforum under the LMDE section, a topic about LMDE does not belong in the Main Edition section. That way lies confusion and time-wasting.
Thanks Moem - I was aware that I was bending the rules, but didn't know how to arrange for the relocation of my post - so thanks both for doing that and for explaining. I'll remember for next time, I promise!
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

senjoz wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:27 am I suggest that you prepare a USB stick with only LMDE 4 installation, without LM 19.3 and MXLinux. ....

Reards, Jože
Thanks, @senjoz, but perhaps my original post wasn't clear. I had three separate but identical Sandisk USB sticks. I had only a single distro on each one. So while running a live session from the USB with LMDE4, the 'install' icon wouldn't work. When running either the LM19.3 or MXLinux USBs, the 'install' icons/commands work fine.

So is there a problem with the LMDE4 ISO? I suppose I can just download another ISO and prepare another bootable USB. But I raised the issue in case it was a known fault or something to which others had found a solution.
senjoz
Level 5
Level 5

Post by senjoz »

br1anstorm wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:26 am I suppose I can just download another ISO and prepare another bootable USB.
Yes, I would prepare a bootable USB stick again (not another stick, use the same USB stick).

Reards, Jože
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Well, I think the problem may be solved.

I downloaded another ISO of LMDE4 today, and used Rufus to create a bootable USB (using the same Sandisk stick as before).

I ran a Live session from it on the Lenovo T430 laptop...... and this time yes, the "install" icon on the screen (and the same choice in the menu) opened up the Installer.

So I can only conclude that the previous LMDE4 ISO downloaded a few months ago must have been flawed or faulty.

Looks as if I can mark this thread "Solved".

Thanks again to all who commented.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

spamegg wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:13 am
all41 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:28 pm The LMDE4 kernel is newer than the 19.3 kernel--out of the box
It is? Huh interesting, my bad then. Apologies for the false info.
They must have updated the ISO, it was quite a long while ago when I tried to install it.
Then there is some other issue.
Just to be sure I installed both on an extra drive.
You were correct and I was wrong re this. Those apologies are now reversed. :oops:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.

Return to “Installation & Boot”