How can I automount a windows partition?

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linny
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Linny »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How can I automount a windows partition?

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

Linny wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:20 pm How can I automount a windows partition?
Please post the output of the commands (with the prompt and command included):
sudo parted -l
id
lsblk -fi
cat /etc/fstab

Tell me the Windows partition you want to mount and suggest a name for the mount point (don't specify the full path, just the desired name).
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Best not to mount the Windows OS partition, and definitely do not write to it from Mint, but if you have a data partition that can be safely mounted using the /etc/fstab file.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Adding the drive to your /etc/fstab file will do it. I have no idea why ajgreeny says not to do this or not to write to the disk from Linux. I, and many others, have done this for years with no problems.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

I used to write to my Windows XP partition, the last Windows I know anything about but I understand from others that the Windows 10 partition is a great deal more difficult in that situation.
I accept that I may be over concerned about this as I've not used Windows for 16 years, but I think you could easily find Windows users who have messed up their system by editing files that should never be edited without good knowledge of what they're doing.
ricardogroetaers
Level 6
Level 6

Post by ricardogroetaers »

ajgreeny wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:49 am I used to write to my Windows XP partition, ....
I used to create, in Mint, a shortcut to the folder "My Documents" in Windows.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

A little trick could be to create a 2nd NTFS partition in Windows where you put all your datas.
This partition, being non-system will be easy to mount using the Gnome Disks tool and you won't have to bother interfering with Windows system files because they will remain on the initial Win partition.
It works for me with LMDE4 mounting Win8 data partition at startup.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Aztaroth wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:21 am A little trick could be to create a 2nd NTFS partition in Windows where you put all your datas.
This partition, being non-system will be easy to mount using the Gnome Disks tool and you won't have to bother interfering with Windows system files because they will remain on the initial Win partition.
It works for me with LMDE4 mounting Win8 data partition at startup.
That is definitely the safest way to deal with Windows 10 in dual boot with Mint or any other Linux distro.

I know very little about Windows 10 apart from the fact that it is, according to other users I know, very easy to upset by writing files to the Windows OS partition, hence my warning.
Perhaps many other users manage to write to that partition with no problems, but it may also make more sense to not give the system any chance to be damaged, by creating a separate data partition.

Return to “Installation & Boot”