lmde 4 fails to run in live edition and same when installed

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
yasha1957
Level 1
Level 1

lmde 4 fails to run in live edition and same when installed

Post by yasha1957 »

Hi, I have a new HP laptop with amd R7. want to install LMDE to dual boot with win 10. Loads the live edition to the point when it should go active and crashes. I did an install of LMDE 4 direct from USB. Goes thru the process on reboot get the same results. Still have /win 10 from linux boot menu works fine. I am connected direct to internet and all seems to work fine up to this point I described. I get the same thing with debian 10. (exactly the same.) at top left corner I have the '-' flashing. I can and have installed linux mint 20 with no issues. Help please.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: lmde 4 fails to run in live edition and same when installed

Post by karlchen »

Hello, yasha1957.

LMDE 4 comes with some old kernel 4.19.0-xx. This kernel series will be much too old for your HP laptop with amd Ryzen 7 CPU.
LM 20 comes with kernel 5.40-xx or if you chose the LM20 Edge version, it comes with kernel 5.8.0-xx. This will be new enough to boot and install.
I wonder why you installed LMDE 4, though the live system had already crashed at some point? :?

In case you insist on LMDE, you may have to wait for LMDE 5, which will be based on Debian 11. Debian 11 will be released, once it is ready to be released. This might be September 2021 or end of September 2021 or any other point in time, when the Debian developers agree to have completed Debian 11.
LMDE 5 in turn will be available some time after the release of Debian 11, very likely when the Mint developers agree to have completed their job.
I cannot be any more precise with respect to the release dates.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Tenebris_Umbra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tenebris_Umbra »

I agree, you could use something like jlivecd, to open the iso, update it, switch to 5.10.0-bpo7 kernel and amd/ati/radeon firmware and then recompile the iso. Its the only work around I can think of. I use jlivecd all the time to make a small version of lmde4, that I can 'toram' or load the whole system into ram, it works ok for my purpose.
axisofevil
Level 4
Level 4

Post by axisofevil »

I have a new non-HP AMD Ryzen 7 5800X.

LMDE4 with a 4.19 kernel runs just fine, on both the install and live versions.
However, since that kernel was produced before the 5800X went on sale, I've installed the 5.10.0-0.bpo.7-amd64 backport.
Hasn't made any difference.

Return to “Installation & Boot”