[SOLVED] Invalid Partition Table! (again)

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
_DeF_
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Invalid Partition Table! (again)

Post by _DeF_ »

Hi everyone,

I am a linux newbie, so please forgive me if I just haven't managed to come across the correct information yet (or recognise it if I had come across it).

I recently installed lmde 4 from a USB stick from BIOS (I wiped the ssd, selected the LVM option, installed the grub on /dev/sda), and am now getting the Invalid Partition Table! error every time I boot up. Pressing enter then bypasses the error message and everything seems to work as normal from then on.

I have read the other forum posts regarding this topic, but they aren't entirely relevant to me in that the poster was using different hardware, or was dual booting their system. I am using an old reconditioned Dell latitude E6430s, with a replacement Samsung ssd.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I am not yet confident enough to try something that I am not sure will actually fix the problem, and potentially just make things worse!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Invalid Partition Table! (again)

Post by JerryF »

Try installing LMDE 4 without the LVM option. Let us know what happens.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I wiped the ssd
How did you do that? If you just deleted the existing partitions, okay. If you wiped it, you will need to put a partition table on it.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
_DeF_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _DeF_ »

Hi Jerry,

The error report was still there without the LVM option selected.

Hi Andy,

I just used the stock installer you are presented with via USB stick installation. In the 'Installation Type' section, I selected the 'Automated Installation' option. It just says 'Erase a disk and install LMDE on it' underneath that check box.

Sorry I can't be more specific than that.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Not an LMDE user, but should have worked. Suggest you boot the mint install stick, run gparted on it and create a new partition table on the SSD. In gparted it is device > create partition table. If you are booting in legacy mode choose an msdos partition table, if booting in UEFI mode choose a gpt partition table.

Then, if UEFI boot, with gparted, create a small (100MB) partition, format fat32 and set the flags esp and boot on it (when you have created the partition, right click on it and manage flags). This is your EFI partition and is where the installer will put the bootloader files (grub). If booting legacy ignore this. Note, in the installer, when asked where to put grub, you specify the drive, e.g. sda, not a partition, e.g. sda1.

Create a single ext4 partition using the rest of the SSD (I'm assuming LMDE will use a swap file and doesn't need a swap partition).

Install mint, when you come to the screen showing the partitions on your SSD, tell it to use the ext4 partition you created and use it for /.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I expect the message to be a BIOS issue and the below seems to confirm, even if in the context of another Dell system. I.e., also try if you have a newer BIOS available.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-u ... tate-drive
_DeF_
Level 1
Level 1

Post by _DeF_ »

Thanks very much Andy, your instructions for the UEFI boot option sorted it out. I am very grateful for all your help.

Thanks anyway Rene for your suggestion, too.

Best wishes everyone

Return to “Installation & Boot”