System booting slowly

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fossy
Level 3
Level 3

Re: System booting slowly

Post by Fossy »

SimonPeter wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:37 am
SMG wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:27 pm It's my understanding Bullseye is using the 5.10
Yes, I'm currently on Debian 11 Bullseye (with the default 5.10 kernel)
5.10 is LTS (supported for atleast 2 years) while 5.11 isn't.
... https://www.kernel.org/releases.html
Version 5.10 ( Maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin )
Released 2020-12-13
Projected EOL : is now Dec, 2026
SimonPeter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by SimonPeter »

Fossy wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:22 am ... https://www.kernel.org/releases.html
Version 5.10 ( Maintainer Greg Kroah-Hartman & Sasha Levin )
Released 2020-12-13
Projected EOL : is now Dec, 2026
Yes. LTS kernels are usually supported for 6 years.
I told >=2 years just to be safe (better upgrade by that time -- almost the time a new Debian comes)

BTW: atleast 2 years means 2 years or more.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Did you upgrade to the latest firmware packages from the buster-backports repo as well, after upgrading to kernel 5.10?
If not try:
apt install -t buster-backports firmware-linux firmware-linux-nonfree libdrm-amdgpu1 xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

LMDE-Newbie wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:09 am Actually, Shared is only a partition on the SSD, as I have a second partition for Timeshift on that SSD.
That could be an explanation. I remember having such slow boot with SSD + internal HDD disks. Although the HDD had decent performances (160 Mbs), boot was really slow (~ 1 mn 20) because I set Timeshift to do its snaps on a partition I created on that HDD.

Even disabling auto-snap didn't solve the problem and each snap contained over 1,000,000 files (not really because when a file is not modified, TS only keeps the previous inode link to it and doesn't copy the file itself). Moving the snaps to an external disk which was not available when Timeshift didn't run solved the problem. But at that time I was kind of a newbie too :D (and I'm still in certain ways). Nowadays, I'll just not mount the TS partition by default, only mount it with the Gnome Disks Tool when needing a snap.

It means subsequently you have to deactivate automatic snaps, but for LMDE4, it's a good thing IMHO : built on Debian stable (oldstable now), LMDE4 has far less upgrades than LM classic, so you can afford a one per week snap + of course extra snaps when kernel or Cinnamon upgrades are proposed but that doesn't happen very often.

Also SMG and SimonPeter were right to show you path towards official kernels. Mine is not really : it's an official ... Ubuntu kernel which works surprisingly well with LMDE4 although not designed for it.

I didn't do it just in order to build a Frankendebian of my own, but the last certified Debian kernel at that time was 5.10.3 and I had some issues with it. So, I could afford such a do or die try on one of my systems cause there are enough computers at home to dedicate one to a one-month test. I wouldn't dare doing such things on an essential computer as long as I'm not sure.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
LMDE-Newbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LMDE-Newbie »

jwiz wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:58 am Did you upgrade to the latest firmware packages from the buster-backports repo as well, after upgrading to kernel 5.10?
No, I didn't know anything would change :) Thanks for providing the command
LMDE-Newbie
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LMDE-Newbie »

Aztaroth wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:51 am It means subsequently you have to deactivate automatic snaps, but for LMDE4, it's a good thing IMHO : built on Debian stable (oldstable now), LMDE4 has far less upgrades than LM classic, so you can afford a one per week snap + of course extra snaps when kernel or Cinnamon upgrades are proposed but that doesn't happen very often.
That is good to know. I'll give it a try, maybe it will help.

Return to “Installation & Boot”