Installation error (ACPI, Ae_not_found, etc)

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Zerop
Level 1
Level 1

Installation error (ACPI, Ae_not_found, etc)

Post by Zerop »

Thanks for checking,

I an trying to install linux mint on an brand new ASUS device.

I have verified iso 64 bit (debian version LMDE), installed on usb with etcher, went into bios, added boot option top of list and booted. I get some errors, after installing the standard option, then after the errors i get blinking underscore forever.

Here is the error msgs, would appreciate it if anyone let me know what’s up.

I found this thread on a diff distro this forum, possibly I’ve a similar issue?

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=62837

Edit: forgot to add error picture https://imgur.com/a/ok2udWH

Edit 2: I forgot to update the windows on this new device, I’ll try updating it and try again.

Edit 3: Didn’t help, same issue. Please let me know next approach.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Insallation error (ACPI, Ae_not_found, etc)

Post by SMG »

Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:37 pmI an trying to install linux mint on an brand new ASUS device.
Generally speaking, brand new devices require drivers that are not found in older kernels like the one (4.19) which comes with LMDE4. Many newer devices need at least the 5.10 kernel. That kernel is available through backports, but some computers will not even boot the older kernel. I've helped on several threads where we have found that to be the case.

What is the make and model number of your computer? Or can you provide a link to the specs for it?

Edited to add: If your computer does need a newer kernel, Debian 11 Bullseye just came out with a 5.10 kernel if you want to stay Debian-based or you can try the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) which has the 5.11 kernel.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Zerop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zerop »

SMG wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:57 pm
Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:37 pmI an trying to install linux mint on an brand new ASUS device.
Generally speaking, brand new devices require drivers that are not found in older kernels like the one (4.19) which comes with LMDE4. Many newer devices need at least the 5.10 kernel. That kernel is available through backports, but some computers will not even boot the older kernel. I've helped on several threads where we have found that to be the case.

What is the make and model number of your computer? Or can you provide a link to the specs for it?

Edited to add: If your computer does need a newer kernel, Debian 11 Bullseye just came out with a 5.10 kernel if you want to stay Debian-based or you can try the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) which has the 5.11 kernel.
Thank you for your quick response.

https://www.elkjop (.) no/product/data/barbar-pc/windows-barbar-pc/286734/asus-zenbook-13-oled-ux325-13-barbar-pc-i716512

This is the laptop (remove () and spaces on tld)

Yes i might have seen a message from you about this topic before and I suspect like you say my laptop is too new.

Apologize for my noob question, but is debian 11 bullseye still mint OS? I know I need an debian based linux distro (mint recommended by a friend) for my purpose.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 pmYes i might have seen a message from you about this topic before and I suspect like you say my laptop is too new.
Good to hear you checked the forum before posting. ;) Asus ZenBook 13 OLED UX325 with an i7 1165G7 -- 11th-gen Intel is quite new.
Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 pmApologize for my noob question, but is debian 11 bullseye still mint OS?
It is not Mint, but a future Mint version (in a year or two) will probably be based on it. I do not know how Minty your need is, but it is my understanding you can use the Cinnamon desktop with Debian Bullseye.
Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 pmI know I need an debian based linux distro (mint recommended by a friend) for my purpose.
There is only one current Debian-based Linux Mint and that is LMDE4 which you have tried to boot.

However, Debian 11 Bullseye is a Debian-based Linux distro, so I would think that would work for your purpose.
Zerop
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Zerop »

SMG wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:34 pm
Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 pmYes i might have seen a message from you about this topic before and I suspect like you say my laptop is too new.
Good to hear you checked the forum before posting. ;) Asus ZenBook 13 OLED UX325 with an i7 1165G7 -- 11th-gen Intel is quite new.
Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 pmApologize for my noob question, but is debian 11 bullseye still mint OS?
It is not Mint, but a future Mint version (in a year or two) will probably be based on it. I do not know how Minty your need is, but it is my understanding you can use the Cinnamon desktop with Debian Bullseye.
Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:23 pmI know I need an debian based linux distro (mint recommended by a friend) for my purpose.
There is only one current Debian-based Linux Mint and that is LMDE4 which you have tried to boot.

However, Debian 11 Bullseye is a Debian-based Linux distro, so I would think that would work for your purpose.
I appreciate you’re very kind and quick help.

I’ll have to go with Debian 11 Bullseye distro, you’ve helped me clear this issue, but if you do like and have the time...

Could you explain in some short sentences if/what the difference is between mint and bullseye security wise?

Thanks again kind stranger

Edit: do you think my GPU will be an issue? Should i run live version before? Watching this review of debian 11 bullseye, very helpfull

https://youtu (.) be/SRaFEUrPSfU
Last edited by Zerop on Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 pmCould you explain in some short sentences if/what the difference is between mint and bullseye security wise?
I do not know that I've seen that issue discussed. I would not expect there to be much difference if there is any difference.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Zerop wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:38 pm
i have not used LMDE and would not recommend it. the acpi error means to me kernel not supported for your hardware. does the official mint cinnamon 20.2 boot?

Return to “Installation & Boot”