new laptop won't boot LMDE

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pccobbler
Level 3
Level 3

new laptop won't boot LMDE

Post by pccobbler »

I've used an HP laptop for eight years now. It was configured with Legacy BIOS. I acquired a few external enclosures and placed old SSDs in them. I installed a few different flavors of Linux, with Devuan Cinnamon and LMDE being two (I removed the internal SATA drive before installation to avoid a dual-boot). Computer life was fairly reliable.

But then I bought a new LG laptop because the old one is having hardware issues. Since I don't work in system administration, I never considered the effect of UEFI boot on my Linux hobby. The external enclosures would not work with the new laptop. I would bring up the boot menu, select the external enclosure, but the system refused to boot it.

So I thought I'd change the BIOS of the old laptop to UEFI Native -- the three choices are Legacy, UEFI Hybrid, and UEFI Native -- and reinstall Linux so the new laptop would boot them. I tried LMDE first, but it would not boot with the new laptop. Then I tried Devuan Cinnamon, but it also refused to boot with the new laptop.

I'd like to remove the internal NVMe SSD and install Linux only on the external enclosure, but the screw holes are covered with black caps, in other words, I would void the warranty by doing so. And the fact that an LMDE LiveUSB never booted on the new laptop (after the initial boot menu, the screen went black) gives me pause (it boots fine on the old laptop), though it was created on the old laptop under Legacy BIOS. I always thought that LiveUSBs were universal.

Before I give up and use the new laptop only with Windows and the occasional LiveUSB, any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: new laptop won't boot LMDE

Post by SMG »

pccobbler wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 pmI tried LMDE first, but it would not boot with the new laptop.
The 4.19 kernel which comes with LMDE4 does not have the hardware drivers many newer computers need. Quite a few people have posted on the forum requesting help getting their new computers to boot LMDE4.

You have not provided any information about your "new" computer other than it is an LG. If you could provide a link to the specs or let us know the cpu used in it, we could confirm it is likely LMDE4 will boot or if you need to consider a different option.
pccobbler wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:22 pmI always thought that LiveUSBs were universal.
That is correct. The live USBs can boot either Legacy BIOS mode or EFI mode.

If your computer does need a newer kernel, Debian 11 Bullseye just came out with a 5.10 kernel if you want to stay Debian-based or you can try the Ubuntu-based Linux Mint 20.2 "Uma" - Cinnamon (Edge, 64-bit) which has the 5.11 kernel.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
pccobbler
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pccobbler »

Sorry. LG Gram 17" 2021 version. It has an i7 processor, but since I returned the laptop yesterday, I cannot give you the model number.

When LMDE booted from a LiveUSB, the font was tiny. It did a few things and then went to a black screen with a blinking cursor. Devuan was equally broken.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

pccobbler wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:12 pmLG Gram 17" 2021 version.
The specs on LG's website indicate it has an 11th-gen Intel processor. That's way too new for the 4.19 kernel. It would need to use one of the other two options I mentioned in my post.

I do not know what kernel Devuan uses, so I can not comment on what might have been the issue.

If you no longer have the computer/issue, please go to your first post in this thread, click the pencil icon, and add [CLOSED] to the title so others know you are no longer seeking help on this issue.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”