Installation and passwords

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Epipsychidion
Level 1
Level 1

Installation and passwords

Post by Epipsychidion »

Hi All,

I haven't used Linux Mint in a long time - I used the original LMDE back in the day, but for some reason gravitated away from it, and am currently using PopOS. However I am finding myself disliking Gnome more and more, and thought I would give LMDE a go again ; however I am hacing a few issues with the installation that I haven't had in a long time - namely utilising spaces within passwords (both for disk encryption and user accounts). I have messed around with a secondary non critical machine, and have been able to get around the user account issue by installing and registering a temporary password, but have been unable to work around the disk encryption. I was wondering if anyone had a fix for this?

Thanks very much in advance!

PS - I have used MX in the past too, and have not had this issue there, but I'm finding that I'm really quite fond of what Mint is doing.
Last edited by LockBot on Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Installation and passwords

Post by MiZoG »

LMDE5 apparently doesn't accept uppercase n some special characters for username/hostname. Don't know about disk encryption. Haven't tried that lately on LMDE. Red x / green check marks next to the relevant fields will guide you to your choice.
Epipsychidion
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installation and passwords

Post by Epipsychidion »

I've tried with upper case, lower case, symbols and spaces, for passwords specifically. The result is that the installer does not like spaces in particular in the password field, all others are OK. I tend to use a combination of upper case, lower case, symbols and spaces for my passwords - primarily to try and keep them somewhat complicated whilst memorable enough for me, and easily typed. I haven't run into the issue in other distros, and I'd really like to run LMDE in particular as I appreciate the work that has gone into it, I really like the Cinnamon DE, and probably for a bit of nostalgia too as the initial release of LMDE was my first foray into the world of linux (I tend to prefer the staying closer to Debian than Ubuntu, although I couldn't really say why....).

Thanks anyway!

Return to “Installation & Boot”