LMDE 5 Elsie / no bootable image found

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LMDE 5 Elsie / no bootable image found

Post by heavy metal »

boq7 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:22 am UEFI is selected now in BIOS.

My hard disk was already correctly formatted with GPT and ext4 file system, see here

https://freeimage.host/i/SPG9pV

Somehow now the message NO BOOTABLE IMAGE FOUND disappeared but now I get the GRUB command line where I am expected to type something.

Same problem though, my laptop cannot boot in LMDE.
I had this same kind of issues with some of my Laptops, for example, I have 2 Laptops, one is an Dell Latitude E6140 and the second is an HP Elite Book 8540P, I could install both, LM 20.3 and LMDE5 on the Dell (Only with UEFI, I wasn't able using Legacy boot), but could only install LM 20.3 and Open Suse Leap 15.4 (UEFI disabled of course) on the HP, even when the HP had the option to enable/disable UEFI with one caveat, UEFI is not fully supported on the HP, only for development uses!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
LMDE 6 on a Panasonic ToughBook CF-C1 Laptop.
Bodhi Linux 7 on a HP Compaq DC5750 Small Form Factor PC.
Windows 11 on a Intel DH55TC PC.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Not surprising about the HP laptop given it's age and the fact it originally only shipped with Windows 7. You could actually install Windows 7 SP1 64-bit to an EFI machine in GPT mode as long as secureboot is OFF, the installer complains but lets you carry on anyway. Afterwards, it boots fine. Nuts...

Regarding the boot errors, there's a bootrepair tool on the LMDE5 ISO too, and it can sort out EFI and legacy BIOS install snafus. I use it after recovering a backup from foxclone sometimes. It depends if I have actually been using another OS or not. If I am recovering straight over LMDE5 this is not necessary.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

boq7 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm I just completely removed my OS and installed LMDE 5 Elsie Cinnamon on my hard disk.

Installation was done successfully but when I wanted to restart then I got the message that NO BOOTABLE IMAGE WAS FOUND and notebook had to shut down.

My partition has the BOOT flag, so I do not understand. What am I missing?

Fast boot > ENABLED
Secure boot > DISABLED

I believe my notebook runs in LEGACY.

Code: Select all

Do Not use LMDE5 for that machine, use LM 20.3 or LM 21 on Legacy Boot and it should work fine, for example, I tried both, UEFI and Legacy boot on an HP Eltie Book 8540P and could install LM 20.3 on Legacy boot only, without issues, so this is the best bet for you I think, good luck!
Debian 12 Gnome on a MSI H61M-P25 (B3) PC & on a Dell Latitude E6410 & HP EliteBook 8540p Laptops.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

boq7 wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:30 pm I just completely removed my OS and installed LMDE 5 Elsie Cinnamon on my hard disk.

Installation was done successfully but when I wanted to restart then I got the message that NO BOOTABLE IMAGE WAS FOUND and notebook had to shut down.

My partition has the BOOT flag, so I do not understand. What am I missing?

Fast boot > ENABLED
Secure boot > DISABLED

I believe my notebook runs in LEGACY.
Do Not use LMDE5 for that machine, use LM 20.3 or LM 21 on Legacy Boot and it should work fine, for example, I tried LMDE5 in both UEFI and Legacy boot on an HP Elite Book 8540P and could Not install, only LM 20.3 on Legacy boot worked there fine, without issues, so this is the best bet for you I think, good luck!
abu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abu »

I dare to rush in here, as my issue is somewhat similar. I could install Elsie with UEFI on my old HP Probook.
Booting on power up is fine, but restarting always ends up in that "Boot-Device not found error". Even if I could live with that, I'd prefer having it fixed. Any ideas?
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

Turn off 'Fast Boot' in the bios if you have it enabled.
abu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abu »

"Fast boot" is not enabled.
abu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abu »

heavy metal wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:06 pm ... on the HP, even when the HP had the option to enable/disable UEFI with one caveat, UEFI is not fully supported on the HP, only for development uses!
Could this be an explanation for my issue, boot yes, reboot no?
If this is true, I could stop searching for a solution.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

abu wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:42 am
heavy metal wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:06 pm ... on the HP, even when the HP had the option to enable/disable UEFI with one caveat, UEFI is not fully supported on the HP, only for development uses!
Could this be an explanation for my issue, boot yes, reboot no?
If this is true, I could stop searching for a solution.
I was able to install LMDE5 on this machine on legacy boot, you just have to disable UEFI, format the disk partition table as "MBR/DOS", create the partitions, install LMDE5, boot again with the LMDE5 live cd installation image after install and mark the "root" partition as "boot" Not "efi/boot/esp" using "GParted" and reboot, it should work, the machine should boot into LMDE5 on the SSD or HDD on your machine!
abu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abu »

I already had this earlier, LMDE5 with legacy boot, everything OK. Then I did I reinstall with UEFI. LMDE5 boots from UEFI without any problem. But reboot via menu doesn't work, doesn't find a boot device. So, I always have to power off for a reboot. This is what I want to fix, I don't want to go back to legacy boot.
heavy metal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by heavy metal »

abu wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:19 am I already had this earlier, LMDE5 with legacy boot, everything OK. Then I did I reinstall with UEFI. LMDE5 boots from UEFI without any problem. But reboot via menu doesn't work, doesn't find a boot device. So, I always have to power off for a reboot. This is what I want to fix, I don't want to go back to legacy boot.
Why Not Legacy Boot? If it works, it works, can you elaborate more on this?
abu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by abu »

You're right. It's primarily for learning something new. In the past, I've never touched things like UEFI, so I thought this would be an opportunity. But as it's not fully working on that system, I think I'll drop it and move back, even if I wanted to avoid any "legacy" stuff.

Return to “Installation & Boot”