LMDE 5 Boot Failure after system update

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tarahall
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE 5 Boot Failure after system update

Post by tarahall »

I have installed LMDE 5 which worked perfectly until I did the 1st system update: Now I get the following error messages on boot:

#####################################################################
modprobe: module dm-raid45 not found in modules.dep
You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs,
"systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit" to boot into default mode.

Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
See sulogin(8) man page for more details.

Press Enter to continue.
#####################################################################

However pressing Enter responds with
"Reloading system manager configuration.
Starting default target"

which is followed eventually by:

"You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view system logs,
"systemctl reboot" to reboot, "systemctl default" or "exit" to boot into default mode.

Cannot open access to console, the root account is locked.
See sulogin(8) man page for more details.

Press Enter to continue."

Starting via the GRUB boot in Recovery mode achieves the same outcome. If I could get to a console I could probably fix it ???
Any help would be much appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE 5 Boot Failure after system update

Post by antikythera »

have you got bootable media for either linux mint or LMDE to hand? If so, boot from that and run the boot repair tool. If that fails to fix the issue, try Timeshift (if you actually enabled scheduled snapshots they will be listed to restore from via live media's Timeshift program interface too)
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
tarahall
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tarahall »

Thanks for your advice. I had done a TimeShift backup after the 1st install and I had LMDE-5 install ISO on a USB stick so I have managed to recover the original installation with the TS recovery. I did the updates again and they worked OK this time, although the previous updates didn't give a warning or error message. The only difference this time was that I used the original repositories instead of local mirrors, however that should not have been the cause of the boot failure I would have thought.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

The 'dm-raid45 not found' issue is an old, only partially resolved Debian problem that keeps cropping up time and again.
There are loads of bug messages about that throughout the past years.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

If you do not use RAID you can uninstall the service that causes the dm-raid45 error. uninstall dmraid and libdmraid using synaptic or apt
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

I've been recently installing LMDE on RAID0, and I always uninstall dmraid, because it hangs too often.

You only need mdadm for LMDE on RAID.

Return to “Installation & Boot”