LMDE5 installer: language selection window too high to press OK

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grubernd
Level 1
Level 1

LMDE5 installer: language selection window too high to press OK

Post by grubernd »

Hi..

installed LMDE5 32bit edition on my old netbook from 2008,
but had to attach an external monitor to continue with the language selection window.

That window was way too high (y-axis) to see or guess the buttons to confirm or cancel.

Moving the window up beyond the upper screen edge with Alt-Space-M via the top-left window controls would not work either.
Which would be another issue, becauseI would expect that to work always.

The netbook, an MSI U100 has a screen resolution of 1024x600 which runs the OS just fine and without any problems.

Why that one window has a forced size might be something to look into.

I know that those old netbooks are old and their screen size is rather unconventional,
but they are also prime candidates to run a cool and easy on the hardware distro like Linux Mint.

cheers,
grubernd
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LMDE5 installer: language selection window too high to press OK

Post by antikythera »

Hold down the ALT key and drag the window up and down as needed
Moving windows which don't fit in the screen

If your screen resolution is too low, some windows might not fit in the screen.

While pressing the ALT key, you can grab any part of a window with the mouse and move it across the screen.
https://linuxmint.com/rel_elsie.php
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
grubernd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by grubernd »

antikythera wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:24 pm Hold down the ALT key and drag the window up and down as needed
Which should use the same functionality as the Alt-Space menu option "move".
So this is kinda weird, that it did not work via the menu to move the windows upper edge beyond the upper edge of the screen.

Will try and compare with my next install.
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

When installing on 1024 x 800 or 800 x 600 screens on 2007-2009 era asus eee pcs, I always make the panel as small as possible, to get an extra line of installer on my screen.

When installing on any with 512MB ram, I press E to edit grub boot command list, boot to init 3, mount some swap, then continue to desktop.
Otherwise, it can take a long time. To save on ram, I just delete the entire panel once the installer is in motion.

Anything to keep my babies cool.
MLED4
Level 2
Level 2

Post by MLED4 »

Just been making budgie lmde on Asus EEE PC 701sd with 800x600 screen. Xrandr doesn't seem to work on budgie.

Solution 1. Put screen in portrait mode to reach bottom of screen. Trackpad is fun in a disoriented way.

Solution 2. Install dconf-editor and force that window to be smaller for you.

Return to “Installation & Boot”