Linux LMDE4 dual boot OS problem

Questions about Grub, the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
panov32
Level 1
Level 1

Linux LMDE4 dual boot OS problem

Post by panov32 »

Hello, I have a computer with two operating systems "Windows XP" SP3 and "Linux Mint LMDE4". I recently had to reinstall "Windows XP", that's how the problems started. Both OSes have booted successfully in the past, and I've also successfully repaired GRUB more than once with GRUB Customizer. However, at the moment, all attempts and options to repair GRUB and boot both systems are unsuccessful. This time I tried to repair GRUB with "Grub-Repair", then every repair results in a GRUB prompt unable to continue. Sda disk structure: sda1-ntfs-49gb, sda2-ntfs-49gb, sda5-ext4-43gb(Linux boot and home dir), sda6-Ext4-4,9gb(Swap). What GRUB gives at the end of the installation is that the Linux partition is deep in the disk structure and the BIOS may fail to load the operating system. I've tried reinstalling GRUB from the command line, booting Linux from the GRUB prompt, and other things with no luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
panov32
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Linux LMDE4 dual boot OS problem

Post by panov32 »

Here is my PC, "Linux" and "Windows XP" are on Hitachi disk, sdb
Attachments
pc_sys.jpg
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

panov32 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:46 am Hello, I have a computer with two operating systems "Windows XP" SP3 and "Linux Mint LMDE4". I recently had to reinstall "Windows XP", that's how the problems started. Both OSes have booted successfully in the past, and I've also successfully repaired GRUB more than once with GRUB Customizer.
Welcome to the forum, panov32.

Grub customizer is a separate program and not part of the operating system. I do not know how grub customizer does/does not work with boot repair. Maybe someone else can provide advice in that regards.

It is usually better to install Windows first and then install any Linux-based distros. By re-installing XP, you did the reverse.

You should be able to access your LMDE4 files with the live session. That is working, correct?

btw - LMDE4 went end of life a few months ago.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
panov32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panov32 »

Hello, thank you for your comment. First installed WinXP and then Linux Mint LMDE4, but now a reinstall of WinXP has been required. I install GRUB Customizer on Live version of Linux. Sorry to ask for help with an unsupported version of the product. I plan to upgrade to LMDE5 once I restore the system.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

panov32 wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:25 pmI plan to upgrade to LMDE5 once I restore the system.
I figured that might be the case, but maybe using the live system to save your data (if you do not have it backed up) and then installing LMDE5 fresh might be a way to address this issue.

I do not have dual-boot experience with these two OS's so we'll have to wait and see if someone else can help you.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
panov32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panov32 »

Hi, I was unable to fix Linux LMDE4 and switched to LMDE5. However, there is currently the following problem. The Memtest86+ program changed the order of options in the GRUB menu and now I can't get into Linux even in safe mode. I'll post a picture later.
Attachments
pic2.jpg
panov32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by panov32 »

I tried a failed repair with Boot Repair, now I'm reinstalling the system. Currently Linux does not provide reliable recovery and management tools, I can say that it is not worth your time. I'm disappointed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MiZoG »

You are not disappointed with Windows that rendered your Linux installation un-bootable. OK.
The image you posted suggests you're customizing the grub menu.
At least default vanilla grub installed by LMDE5 would never look like that.
Grub customizer has earned a bad reputation, especially on these forums.
Can you not select LMDE with the arrow keys of your keyboard?
There is a tutorial here on this forum on how to re-install grub.
You want the BIOS version of the guide not the UEFI.

Return to “Installation & Boot”