Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fuzzy
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] vi, vim, xed says file has changed

Post by Fuzzy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:59 am

Ever since I installed Cindy, I've noticed that when I use vi, vim, or xed (I haven't used other data-entry programs yet), that if I leave the keyboard for some time (an hour, or overnight), and if I have left a document open...it will tell me that the file has changed on the hard drive, and ask me what I want to do about it.

In earlier versions of LMDE, I'd only receive this warning/question when I actually HAD modified the file using other means, while it was still open (minimized) in xed.

It is unnerving to me to see this message when I haven't otherwise modified the file(s). Plus, after closing several of these warnings throughout the first few days, I finally just ignored one. I ended up losing a day's worth of manipulation of that document, so now the issue has become more pressing to me.

(I'm sorry - I don't have the exact error/warning message in front of me now, but I will add it to this post as soon as I can.)

Thanks,
Fuzzy
Last edited by Fuzzy on Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Re: vi, vim, xed says file has changed

Post by smurphos » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:26 am

So which document? A personal file in your home folder or something else?

Fuzzy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:50 am

Mostly php, html, and css files. Sometimes on a network share mounted in fstab, and other times in the local /var/www/html/subfolder - the subfolder has 755 permisions set on it.

Thanks,
Fuzzy

smurphos
Level 8
Level 8

Post by smurphos » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:23 am

So you are running a webserver? I'll have to bow out - no knowledge there.

Fuzzy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:14 am

Well, the problem seems to have rectified itself, as I haven't had the problem in quite some time (probably since the day after my initial post.) I'll mark this post as "SOLVED" because no further action appears to be necessary.

Return to “Software & Applications”