Serious problem with LMDE4 Cinnamon booting and basic functionality

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Serious problem with LMDE4 Cinnamon booting and basic functionality

Post by Kenneth1 »

Hello, it's not taking forever for LMDE4 with Cinnamon to boot. It now goes black for (I timed it) 1 minute, sometimes more, before the login screen appears. When I try to launch any program, the lag is so unbearable. Example Brave browser or really any program at all. How is this possible? My system is no longer top of the line but it is an intel i7 processor and I do have 16 gb of ram. That should be plenty to launch a browser or an email program. When I am running really any browser, if I start typing, it freezes. I noticed an i/o error when it shuts down. Let me stop anyone in advance for saying "it's the hardware". Both Hard Drives are brand new and out of the box. I have a 224 GB solid state that I just unboxed to install the main operating system on. I have a a new Western digital hard drive, new and out of the box. Also I have a fun story about that. I installed LMDE4 about 4 months ago with another western digital hard drive and I kept having the exact same problem. It was saying i/o on the magnetic hard drive. Now I called up western digital and I started a major S storm because I thought they sold me a defective hard drive, could be because all hard drives are made in China now a days. They exchanged my hard drive. I did a clean install. Linux worked beautifully since about August. Now I'm back to the same problem. The odds of two defective hard drives in a row are slim to none. This is clearly a linux mint issue. I'm also not willing to use regular mint. Not interested. I don't like ubuntu. In my humble opinion, having Mint based on Ubuntu runs counter to the goals of Linux mint in the first place. Mint split from Ubuntu because we didn't like what they were doing. Then we base our system on theirs. All mint should be debian based, but I digress. I'm 99% sure this is a software problem as this is highly highly unlikely...or even more unlikely...Mint is causing the hardware damage, but I think we can rule that out now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Serious problem with LMDE4 Cinnamon booting and basic functionality

Post by SMG »

Kenneth1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:34 am I noticed an i/o error when it shuts down.
That could be a cabling issue as much as a drive issue.

Please give us information about your install by entering this command in a terminal: inxi -Fxxxrz
Click </> from the mini toolbar above the textbox where you type your reply and then place your cursor between the code markers and paste the results of the command between the code markers [code]Results[/code]. This will let us know how Mint sees your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

It would also be helpful to post the terminal output of 'systemd-analyze blame' in order to decide which service is locking up your device at boot.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Kenneth1 wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:34 am Hello, it's not taking forever for LMDE4 with Cinnamon to boot. It now goes black for (I timed it) 1 minute, sometimes more, before the login screen appears. When I try to launch any program, the lag is so unbearable. Example Brave browser or really any program at all. How is this possible? My system is no longer top of the line but it is an intel i7 processor and I do have 16 gb of ram. That should be plenty to launch a browser or an email program. When I am running really any browser, if I start typing, it freezes. I noticed an i/o error when it shuts down. Let me stop anyone in advance for saying "it's the hardware". Both Hard Drives are brand new and out of the box. I have a 224 GB solid state that I just unboxed to install the main operating system on. I have a a new Western digital hard drive, new and out of the box. Also I have a fun story about that. I installed LMDE4 about 4 months ago with another western digital hard drive and I kept having the exact same problem. It was saying i/o on the magnetic hard drive. Now I called up western digital and I started a major S storm because I thought they sold me a defective hard drive, could be because all hard drives are made in China now a days. They exchanged my hard drive. I did a clean install. Linux worked beautifully since about August. Now I'm back to the same problem. The odds of two defective hard drives in a row are slim to none. This is clearly a linux mint issue. I'm also not willing to use regular mint. Not interested. I don't like ubuntu. In my humble opinion, having Mint based on Ubuntu runs counter to the goals of Linux mint in the first place. Mint split from Ubuntu because we didn't like what they were doing. Then we base our system on theirs. All mint should be debian based, but I digress. I'm 99% sure this is a software problem as this is highly highly unlikely...or even more unlikely...Mint is causing the hardware damage, but I think we can rule that out now.
I'm not trying to solve your issue with this post (others before me asked for system infos), but :
- a hard disk is not alone : it has two cables (one for power supply and the other for data transfer). So, a hard disk problem can be a hard disk failure, a cable problem as SMG suggested, a mobo failure or a main power supply failure.
Recently, I experienced some freezes with LMDE4 on one of my systems. I did a fresh install which solved my problems during a week or so. Then it began again. In fact, it was the main power supply which was giving its 'last performances' and didn't deliver enough for all the devices. So, randomly, some devices had issues : sometimes disks, sometimes GPU when intensively used... Changing the power supply solved everything.

- Mint can't cause damage by itself. If one could, it would be the Linux kernel, but it would be on all distros using it. And it has never happened, at least I know of...
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 »

Hmm. I didn't think of that at all. Is there a way to measure if the power supply is screwing up? I'm not very good on the hardware side, at least as far as testing it.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

Kenneth1 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:36 pm Hmm. I didn't think of that at all. Is there a way to measure if the power supply is screwing up? I'm not very good on the hardware side, at least as far as testing it.
Honestly, I didn't know until it began more and more difficult to start the system (these freezes I referred to needed to restart with the power button, always a bad sign, but I was too busy at work at the time to perform the required checks) till one day it didn't start at all :D .

But if I may add some piece of advice, you should first check your LM installation with SMG and post the needed inxi report. Eliminating install issues if any would be the first step to conclude about hardware failure.
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
Kenneth1
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kenneth1 »

I don't know guys. My rig is a dual boot with 4 HD. I have 2 solid states and two standard HD. I run LMDE4 and WIn 10. I barely use Windows 10 for anything other than gaming, so I don't really bother with a lot of security because if Win 10 gets a virus, so what, a few games get deleted. However anything to do with banking, my personal information anything that matters I do on LMDE 4. Well win 10 works fine...no issues. basically the core OS is on the solid state. so for LMDE 4 that means everything but the home folder. most installs are in the home folder right? Or wrong? I'm pretty sure the important components are all in hidden folders under home and just the core in the SSD. If Seagate sent me another bad hard drive after I bought one, tested it, found a defect, sent it back then I'm going to be so freaking pissed!!! I'm so tired of the piss poor quality of today's hardware.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Kenneth1 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:46 am I run LMDE4 and WIn 10...Well win 10 works fine...no issues. basically the core OS is on the solid state. so for LMDE 4 that means everything but the home folder. most installs are in the home folder right?
I do not understand what you are asking us to confirm.

So far, you have provided no system information so we can help you. We do not know how you have your two operating systems divided between the four drives.

jwiz requested the output of systemd-analyze blame and I requested the output of inxi -Fxxxrz. We will be in a better position to help you if you provide data.
Last edited by SMG on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed typo in command.
jwiz
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jwiz »

SMG wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:08 pm ...
jwiz requested the output of system-analyze blame and I requested the output of inxi -Fxxxrz. We will be in a better position to help you if you provide data.
Minor correction: it's systemd-analyze blame
And I just hope we're not feeding a troll here.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

jwiz wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:06 amMinor correction: it's systemd-analyze blame
And I just hope we're not feeding a troll here.
I corrected my post.

Return to “Software & Applications”