Install MATE - Remove Cinnamon?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rbeltz48
Level 4
Level 4

Install MATE - Remove Cinnamon?

Post by rbeltz48 »

Does anyone know: If you install other desktops, can you remove Cinnamon without corrupting the distro? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Install MATE - Remove Cinnamon?

Post by gm10 »

You can, you can also just keep both installed.
Fuzzy
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Fuzzy »

Not quite apples to apples, but in LMDE2, I had done the reverse - installed Cinnamon on a Mate system. Everything ran great until someone told me that I shouldn't have done that, and that I should uninstall the one I wasn't using. I uninstalled Cinnamon and it hosed many features in Mate. I ended up (by recommendation of this forum) wiping my install and re-installing.

Not sure if the same would happen with the LMDE3...but due to my earlier experience, I'd be personally hesitant to do it again.

If you do happen to proceed, please let us know how it turns out.

Thanks!
Fuzzy
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Best course of action is to back up your data then do a clean/fresh install of the version you want.
Harfud
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Harfud »

Neil Edmond wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm Best course of action is to back up your data then do a clean/fresh install of the version you want.
There is only one version, LMDE3 comes as Cinnamon only.

I will do a fresh install of LMDE3 and if there's a way of installing a Mint Mate desktop (I want it to look like Mint) then I will do so leaving Cinnamon in place - If there's not a way of doing that then I guess I'll get used to Cinnamon.

My laptop has SIS graphics that are a nightmare but which work with Debian, I would also like the less resource hungry Mate.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Harfud wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:32 amThere is only one version, LMDE3 comes as Cinnamon only.
So it does! And still in BETA at that. Guess I need to open my eyes a little. I didn't even realize we were in the LMDE section of the forum. :oops: Anyway, I suppose there is a good chance of additional version releases of LMDE3 once there is a stable release. Don't know that for sure, but there have been in the past.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

gm10 wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:36 pm You can, you can also just keep both installed.
you can do this, as well,, as I've got both Cinnamon & Mate working together .. ..
8)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Monsieurzik
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monsieurzik »

Harfud wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:32 am
Neil Edmond wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm Best course of action is to back up your data then do a clean/fresh install of the version you want.
There is only one version, LMDE3 comes as Cinnamon only.

I will do a fresh install of LMDE3 and if there's a way of installing a Mint Mate desktop (I want it to look like Mint) then I will do so leaving Cinnamon in place - If there's not a way of doing that then I guess I'll get used to Cinnamon.

My laptop has SIS graphics that are a nightmare but which work with Debian, I would also like the less resource hungry Mate.
Here is the way I follow to install Mate version. Activing stretch backports and keeping cinnamon « in case of... »
Working like a charm.
I have found back Plank too, a big surprise. It disappeared few years earlier.

viewtopic.php?t=276499
LMDE 4 - Mate

Return to “Software & Applications”